Questioner

What is a dream?

58 posts in this topic

The question of whether my life is a dream is something I have been pondering a while since so many people have told me my life is a dream. So my questions are...

I find it strange that people claim their life is a dream when they are still living in this world. Isn't it only appropriate to call something a dream once you have woken up from it? And absolutely no human has ever woken up from their life otherwise they wouldn't be here to tell us. Thus the claim seems to be absolutely unsubstantiated. 

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what people mean. Maybe my definition is out of whack. For me a dream is an experience that is not based on sensory input.

What is a dream in your view? What is your definition and on what grounds do you definitively claim that this is a dream? Thank you for your help.

Edited by Questioner

@Questioner

Lucid dream is a dream in which you realize that you're inside one. That means that you don't need to wake out of the dream to be awake. Also who told you that reality is based in sensory input? Also who told you that others are having any experience whatsover? What is even the difference between this dream which is happening right now to the one you see at "night"?

-joNi-

Who told you that "others" are real?

@Kksd74628

But we only know its a lucid dream in contrast to our waking state whereas there is nothing to contrast the waking state with besides our dreams. 

On what grounds do you call this a dream as you just did?

Edited by Questioner

@Questioner

Dream isn't just a label that you give to thing which isn't real compared to something else. It's label that is gived to experience that doesn't require outside world to exist. As long as you think that there is outside world, people having experience or hierarcy in experiences you don't understand the concept. Also it is about the feeling of being lucid which just must be experienced to in order to understand it. Trying some psychedelics can be useful to see what others are talking about and then you should aim for having similar experience sober.

2 hours ago, Questioner said:

The question of whether my life is a dream is something I have been pondering a while since so many people have told me my life is a dream. So my questions are...

I find it strange that people claim their life is a dream when they are still living in this world. Isn't it only appropriate to call something a dream once you have woken up from it? And absolutely no human has ever woken up from their life otherwise they wouldn't be here to tell us. Thus the claim seems to be absolutely unsubstantiated. 

Perhaps I am misinterpreting what people mean. Maybe my definition is out of whack. For me a dream is an experience that is not based on sensory input.

What is a dream in your view? What is your definition and on what grounds do you definitively claim that this is a dream? Thank you for your help.

It has no substance or backing.  It has no ground.  It has nothing behind the scenes.  That's what reality is because it is Infinity - which does not require an engine or a back end.   That is for the finite. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

24 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Questioner

Dream isn't just a label that you give to thing which isn't real compared to something else. It's label that is gived to experience that doesn't require outside world to exist. As long as you think that there is outside world, people having experience or hierarcy in experiences you don't understand the concept. Also it is about the feeling of being lucid which just must be experienced to in order to understand it. Trying some psychedelics can be useful to see what others are talking about and then you should aim for having similar experience sober.

What is your evidence that there is no world outside your body?

@Questioner

One guy used telescope and verified it ... No, but for real do the spiritual inquiry to find out the answer. It cannot be given, sorry bro. Your problem is that you try to understand experience by logic and not vice versa as it should be done. Only reason you ask evidence is that you don't want to believe to it and you know that I cannot give the evidence in form of words. This is the exact same situation than in school test; if you can't find an answer to the question go to the next one. Only reason why you are stuck in life is because you don't try different approach.

19 minutes ago, Questioner said:

What is your evidence that there is no world outside your body?

TRuth is prior to proof.  You need an awakening.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

@Kksd74628 You claim you are dreaming and I know experientially that you are wrong. I am generating your input and I am outside of your body.

Edited by Questioner

3 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

TRuth is prior to proof.  You need an awakening.

But I know experientially there is a world outside of your body. I am generating your sensory input and I am outside of your body.

@Questioner

It was never about is there someone having experience outside of me, but you.

4 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Questioner

It was never about is there someone having experience outside of me, but you.

Then I ask you again why you claim this is dream? 

@Questioner

The problem is that you think you're currently talking to someone having experience. The medicine which I prescribe is more spiritual work.

8 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Questioner

The problem is that you think you're currently talking to someone having experience. The medicine which I prescribe is more spiritual work.

No you assume I think that. I know you might not be experiencing anything. I'm only asking why you claim this is a dream.

@Questioner

If you don't think that I am having experience then talking about this subject doesn't benefit you, because you know it already, but if you have even a little possibility that I do then you don't really understand this thing. Again I cannot claim why what I say is true or false, because it is you who must prove it to yourself one way or the another. I can help you proving it to yourself tho, by teaching spiritual practises and to this particular problem psychedelics are maybe the easiest and the fastest based on my own direct experience.

14 minutes ago, Kksd74628 said:

@Questioner

If you don't think that I am having experience then talking about this subject doesn't benefit you, because you know it already, but if you have even a little possibility that I do then you don't really understand this thing. Again I cannot claim why what I say is true or false, because it is you who must prove it to yourself one way or the another. I can help you proving it to yourself tho, by teaching spiritual practises and to this particular problem psychedelics are maybe the easiest and the fastest based on my own direct experience.

All I know is that you aren't dreaming and you unfortunately have no evidence for me that I'm dreaming so this is a dead end.

@Questioner 

This interaction wasn't still useless for you because it showed you that you shouldn't ask a question which you know the another one cannot answer. Another important lesson here is to realize that no one can ever prove anything to you, period. I cannot even prove you that inside banana there are atoms or not without you doing the work to look through the microscope. That's the problem with science, because they make picture in your mind that truth can be spoken and proved. As I said earlier the direct experience of realizing something is your only way to go.

It's not possible to define what a dream is because dreaming is all there is. Any element that you would use to define the dream is within the dream. This is key to realize.

Dreaming is infinite.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

Correct, that is also the same thing why you can't define infinity, because the thing which you are trying to describe will include that definition so it's like trying to catch your own tail by speeding up, but the thing is, the tail does too. I think better question to start from is how does dream like reality feel like and/or how can I experience it by myself. To that question there are hell of more to play with instead of the question that was originally asked, because you'll fuck if you even concider trying to answer to that.

@Questioner  Assuming you're willing to think outside the box of your current views. You could derive great value from this video of Leo's, it's by far the best he's made relative to this subject, and it's very useful even relative to helping ordinary humans understand his perspective.

Potestas Infinitas, Libertas Infinitas, Auctoritas Infinitas.