zunnyman

What do you think of my roadmap out of wage slavery?

6 posts in this topic

I am keeping it really simple: 

3000 hours of deliberate practice with an instrument called the Handpan = Mastery

2000 hours = very great (enough to monetize to 3k to 10k per month) 

2k hours = around 2 years of daily consistent practice 

My plan is to master this instrument with courses, doing the exercises (best courses in the world) and deliberately practicing making innovative compositions. 

Once I truly master this instrument, I have an asset, my Handpan playing skillset. I can monetize this asset with say performances, patreon, reaching out to put my music in movies, collaborating with other artists and building a big social media presence, music NFTS, host music festivals with this Handpan kind of vibe, etc. 

I'm open to any thoughts on this plan, good or bad. Any feedback, input, ideas, suggestions, whatever. 

I currently have a full-time job. If I didn't I'd have more time to add on more key skills. But I realize, honestly its as simple as mastering just this 1 skill to make a good living. 

So what do you think? 

Hey there, also a musician here, props to you for the desire to create that for yourself. 

Mastery is more than time, you may be a faster learner than me, but I have put around 2k hours into Music production/songwriting (on top of a decade of classical violin training) and only now am I really feeling it start to take off.

42 minutes ago, zunnyman said:

3000 hours of deliberate practice with an instrument called the Handpan = Mastery

2000 hours = very great (enough to monetize to 3k to 10k per month) 

This is the easy stuff.

building a big social media presence, Patreon.

This will be the challenge, building a loyal following, that LOVES your work and gets a lot of value out of it.

I can monetize this asset with say performances, reaching out to put my music in movies, collaborating with other artists  music NFTS, host music festivals with this Handpan kind of vibe.

All good ideas, how much research have you done into how possible those options are? specifically for the skill you are building?

I currently have a full-time job. If I didn't I'd have more time to add on more key skills. 

hehe, me too, with you.

But I realize, honestly its as simple as mastering just this 1 skill to make a good living. 

Nope. Its not that simple. Maybe on paper it is, but in the real world, the hardest part will not be developing your ability to handpan masterfully, it will be getting eyeballs that want to PAY YOU to Handpan masterfully.

Not by any means financially independent with my art, so take what I said with a grain of salt

Stay strong! Be true :)

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

@Realms of Wonder Hey, great insights. You got me thinking more. On a more meta level, your post made me surrender a bit my desire for quicker results, and realize that maybe this entire post I made was based on wanting quicker results, and I just need more patience. 

I guess you're right. The social media presence, brand building and stuff, is additional skills, and also not some easy stuff. It will require mastery. 

All the monetization methods seem viable from my research. 

But damn the one thing thats a bit of a downer is how many hours of mastery. If you're saying you put in a decade of violin, and 2k hours of music production, and now things are just starting to click, what does that say about the 10k hour rule?

And from another perspective, say I drop the idea of mastery for a second, and just look at how long itll take to monetize my passion: if I am brand new to Handpan, is it realistically possible to assume I can get to 3k profit per month with 2 years of putting in 30 hours per week into this? I know that sounds vague and broad, but I still think this question is worth thinking about for me. 

12 minutes ago, zunnyman said:

@Realms of Wonder Hey, great insights. You got me thinking more. On a more meta level, your post made me surrender a bit my desire for quicker results, and realize that maybe this entire post I made was based on wanting quicker results, and I just need more patience. 

If you really love it, it will be worth the long climb:D 

have you actually played the handpan? 

It may seem like it, to put things into context, the skill I am mastering (songwriting) I have only been working at Seriously for the last 2.5 years. 

Also, results will not be linear. The first 2 years were really frustrating, making relatively little progress for the effort I was putting out. Now it seems that I have hit the “knee Of the curve,” which is super inspiring and motivating, it’s beginning to be effortless and really really enjoyable.

Once again, it’s more than just time, it’s how the time is used.

And from another perspective, say I drop the idea of mastery for a second, and just look at how long itll take to monetize my passion: if I am brand new to Handpan, is it realistically possible to assume I can get to 3k profit per month with 2 years of putting in 30 hours per week into this? I know that sounds vague and broad, but I still think this question is worth thinking about for me. 

I don’t know. Best guess? Find someone who has monitored the handspan successfully, and research their journey.

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

regarding your 3k/month desire - honestly i feel like without a doubt. ive seen entrepreneurs do much more than that in that period of time. really depends on the path and resources though. and daily output as well  

Edited by Jacob Morres

Doing covers of pop songs seems like probably your best shot at going viral and getting picked up by the YouTube algorithm.

Eventually you want to get a list of the top 100 most popular songs of all time, and do a handpan cover of all of them. Only at that point expect to start getting some traction. Then start regular doing current songs that are at the top of the pop charts.

Then once you're recognized and have an audience, you'll have a better chance at releasing original tracks.