Zane

How Traveling Pushes The Comfort Zone

5 posts in this topic

Whenever i travel to a city like New York, I realize how it causes the bubble of the comfort zone and the ego to burst!! New York can feel chaotic and overwhelming to someone who is very sheltered and it will pressure you to adapt to changing conditions. For example, in the subway, the unexpected always happens like delays, track work, changing lanes, and other situations and you have to improvise a solution rather than get complacent and cling to your original plans. A weekend in New York is both an adventure and a test of character that tests you to see how well you can adapt to change and how street smart and clever you are. For example, Times Square can be alluring with it's lights and billboards but you need to be vigilant of scams and just keep moving forward. In just two days in New York, I had explored the city, saw a great musical, explored Central Park and Brooklyn, went to the Stonewall protest, and explored Times Square all in two days! Rather than be scared and overwhelmed by change, I learn how to roll with the punches and just be flexible with change. New York gives me a deep craving and a high for adventure!!! It's one of those experiences where you fear yet you long for more of! It hits you with huge nostalgia and it shows how you to make the best of your life in just two days. Travel, i discovered, can be one of the greatest paths to self-actualization because it teaches you how to be in and embrace and make the best of different situations. I realize that I have an adventurous spirit in me and how a simple weekend can be packed with adventure! I'm in my early 20s and this is the GREATEST opportunity for adventure. I think the theme of 2017 is Carpe Diem ESPECIALLY with my new move to Las Vegas this summer which is another great leap forward. 

Edited by Zane

19 minutes ago, brovakhiin said:

Hell yes, in two weeks I'll be going on a Vipassana followed straight with a 3 month solo packback through South-East Asia. Should burst my comfort bubble into a million pieces :) I'm saying bye to my old life already, it's like a mini-death. I'm contemplating the death of my current lifestyle, and with it my current self.

If you die on your travels visit me as a ghost and tell me about the afterlife

Here's my key; Philosophy. A freak like me just needs Infinity.

Couldn't agree more. I moved to Australia from Norway. Had no choice but to get out of my comfort zone. The big cities, pretty much left alone and it's up to you to figure out everything. It's IMO one of the best things you can do in your life, to at least travel a lot(alone) or move when you feel stagnant and too comfortable. 

Nothing profound ever comes in the comfort zone.

Memento Mori 

Flow With Life
https://trondsworld.com

@brovakhiin I did a three month solo backpacking trip though SE Asia also. If you have any questions, let me know! 

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

@Zane I second what you are saying about a first time trip to New York being a shocker. It is definitely a lot of chaos! So much materialism.. not exactly a "clear your mind and return refreshed" kind of vacation. I knew that going into it though. You are right, it is a very good place to test yourself. I was able to have some great experiences too, like seeing two Broadway shows. I can't praise those talents enough. Best of luck with your travels in 2017!