Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

Will Anyone Hire Me?

5 posts in this topic

I've had this idea for a while and i'm curious what people on here think of my plan.

So right now I work at a basic lab job in the weighroom, and I believe I am a good employee and I have a lot of love and respect from my co-workers. I go out of my way to be as helpful as possible, and I've taken over a lot of the responsibilities of my boss to the point where there are some days where she can spend an hour talking on the phone with her other boss, basically just chatting.

Basically, I feel/think I am a valuable employee and I wish I could work a more meaningful and impactful job. Is it possible for me to just email random companies I'm interested in, and ask them to create a position for me because I can be helpful? I really believe I could be a useful asset to some organization/company/etc. I am very competitive and I have a cold/analytical mind with some sociopathic tendencies that I think make me well suited to be cut throat in business. 

I find i'm much more productive at work, and I think at this point in life I need an external structure and coworkers to motivate me to perform as well as I can. I don't believe I have the discipline to start my own business, so I don't really view that as a viable option. Maybe if I had a business partner? Or join a group of people that could work.

Part of me thinks this is delusional because i'm sure a lot of people in their mid 20's believe they are brilliant and could run companies etc, but another part thinks this would be such a great opportunity if this worked out.

I have a bachelor degree in biology, and I have 1 (incomplete) year of law school but my resume is sketchy with drop outs/etc so I don't think this is an asset.

TLDR: I think I am a valuable asset to someone and I want to find work i'm interested in, even though I have no relevant experience or contacts. Ideally I email a company and say "Hey i think i'm great and could help you, please hire me or give me a shot". 

It's an interesting question and people who got hired this way would say "definitely". 

It helps to know, at least vaguely, what sort of industry you are looking to get into. If it is a Fortune 500 type of corporate business, a best way to start in mid 20s with limited experience is through an internship. Through that you could be offered a lower paid rate from which a full time employment can be offered. This is actually fairly common. This is how |I started my corporate journey too (the thing that I'm now trying to leave it is another matter :D) 

for this type of business you need a decent-looking CV, polished, to the point and free from fluff such as "i am a good multitasker and team player". They value directness. They like to hear about case studies. You know, what did you do in your old job that helped. DId you have an interesting project? If so, talk about it and tell how you helped the company. Big corpo is all about efficiency and cost savings, if you can demonstrate that you can be efficient and come up with ideas on how to save some money they may consider you. 

In addition, a Linkedin profile is a must in this sort of environment. If you can have a few people from old work endorse you, that might help. Gather a few contacts, and follow a bunch of people so they follow you back. 

If the targeted industry is small businesses (e.g. media, creative agencies, stage green type of businesses) then you can get in by having a creative resume such as a nicely edited video that will describe why you are an asset and why they basically loose by not hiring you" But I've never worked in this culture so it would help to have an opinion of someone who did. These types of businesses can also consider you for an internship and if they like you and have budget to keep you, they will. 

2 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Is it possible for me to just email random companies I'm interested in, and ask them to create a position for me because I can be helpful?

This one is tricky. Many businesses have setup block filters for external emails and people are nowadays so busy that unless this is coming from intra company, you will be ignored. It may still be worth trying with smaller businesses but your email has to be brief, creative, ideally have an interactive element (e.g. video or your own personal vlog) and talk about them (the company) rather than yourself. How can you help THEM? Why should THEY hire you? 

How will the person making the decision justify it? What will they tell to their boss?" At some point, the recruiter will have a one-to-one with their boss. What would they say? Why would not hiring you be actually a disadvantage for them? Why would ignoring you be a bad strategy? 

Not sure if you agree, perhaps not. Take it as a subjective perspective :) Hopefully something in there is useful 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

there are some days where she can spend an hour talking on the phone with her other boss, basically just chatting.

Lol this looks like she's doing nothing but it actually serves an important purpose to the functioning of the business and to herself. You'll see this in every business. Get into the habit of going and making smalltalk with her for 10 minutes every Friday afternoon when things are slow, or for 5 minutes before you leave every day (as long as she isn't already on the phone) and you'll see why. This is how you get promoted, not being a workhorse.

If you are really a sociopath then you can figure out this system and exploit it. But you have to be friendly and express sincere interest in getting to know her. If you've been a cold calculating robot for years the sudden change might be weird for her, so you'll have to make it gradual -- start by asking about her weekend or making a workplace appropriate joke whenever you pass her in the hall or see her in the breakroom/kitchen.

Grease dem wheels. Make yourself extremely likeable. Check out resources like How To Win Friends and Influence People --- just starting off by saying her name whenever you talk to her will help greatly.

5 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Basically, I feel/think I am a valuable employee and I wish I could work a more meaningful and impactful job. Is it possible for me to just email random companies I'm interested in, and ask them to create a position for me because I can be helpful? I really believe I could be a useful asset to some organization/company/etc. I am very competitive and I have a cold/analytical mind with some sociopathic tendencies that I think make me well suited to be cut throat in business. 

Yes, start emailing places and tell them the part about being a great employee and wanting more meaningful and impactful work. Research each company you email and tell them WHY working for their company would be more meaningful than your current position (without talking shit). Like maybe one company is working on cancer cures or something.

Leave out the bits about being sociopathic, and even cold/analytical. Even if these things make someone excel at your position it will freak them out.

But yes you can 100% cold email places and get work. This is how most business-to-business relationships form and how most non-beginner freelancers (Fiverr/Upwork people) land their gigs.

It sounds like maybe you should leverage your years of experience to get a low level management job equivalent to your current boss, you'll find it a lot more mentally challenging and interesting I think, and it'll force you to round out your soft skills. If you've mastered your job for a few years you're ready.

Avoid emailing a generic address on their website or use a form. For companies you really want to work for, pick up the phone and call. Your goal should be to get through the secretary (gatekeeper) and speak directly to either someone in HR or a manager in the department you want to work in. Or at the very least get the secretary to forward your resume to them.

Don't explicitly ask them to create a job for you. Just explain your skills and what you're looking for, and if you're good enough they might create one. But more likely you're hoping to get lucky and an opening already exists, or you present an opportunity to replace a current underperforming employee

Edited by Yarco

I think the degree stuff is good to have on there. It does show you were able to complete the bachelors. 

Building connections and networking is pretty huge for getting good jobs. The LinkedIn is really good for doing this surprisingly.  If you know what you field you are interested in, then start building more experience in that area. You can start building up a good profile/resume in that field. You can also start to know what kind of connections to make. 

If you aren't sure what you want, then go find some jobs that sound interesting and apply. It is really a numbers game. More applications sent will yield more interviews and more jobs 

17 hours ago, Raptorsin7 said:

Is it possible for me to just email random companies I'm interested in, and ask them to create a position for me because I can be helpful?

It is called prospection and it is a great way to make shit happen. But it requires some context and understanding. 

It worked for me as a  designer. I sent 30 emails and got a job. But trusting only in numbers is a weak strategy. In my case, for example, I needed to find the people with better potential to connect with, I found specific employees inside companies who could like my work and contacted them directly through their best email. I showed them good things I created, I built rapport in my message, and so on.

It is simple, but not easy. Think about yourself if you would offer a job to some random stranger who appeared in your email box with a CTRL C CTRL V  desperate message. Think deeply and elaborate on that. Feel free to DM.