Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShardMare

Whats the problem with running away from negative emotions?

8 posts in this topic

I dont quite understand it. 

One trap of this work is: Distracting yourself from facing emptiness, negative emotions, loneliness, and ego backlashes.

I was taught that i should be doing things that make me in a better mood. 

Why are negative emotions arent bad? 

Or why not run from it? 

Isnt its a sign that im doing something wrong when i feel a negative emotion? 

@ShardMare Emotions (both positive and negative) are identity blocks. I mean they are blocks in the sense that they make up your identity, like blocks make up buildings. So whatever conditioning you have right now, is a result of thoughts that became so unconscious that they turned into emotions that you either chase or try to avoid, but never truly feel. That includes things like your habits, thought patterns, attachments, likes and dislikes, etc.

If you want to change the way you are conditioned, you will have to face those emotions.

Or vice-versa, if you do actually face those emotions, your identity will start to change.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

You can never really run from your emotions. They're stored in the body. And you ignoring that part of your body (neck, stomach, back, wherever) means you are unconscious of that part of the body. This will lead to countless problems like addictions, bad coping habits, stress, tension, and other terrible things. 

If you've ever had an awakening experience you should have noticed that your body felt as light as a feather and you had conciousness over every fingertip and inch of the body. 

It's a very immature thought you're having here frankly. You can never ever run from your emotions. You can only deal with them. This may as well be a law of physics. 

@Gesundheit2 but how do i face my emotions?

Yes i start feeling them but what after it?

@TheOneReborn if i recognize that one part of my body is tense then what do i do with that? And how do i know that it stores that or the other type of emotion?

This is weird

Focus on that part of the body and be conscious of what feelings, thoughts, and memories stir. For example I have tension in my back where my heart Chakra is and when I meditate on that memories of my dead father race through my mind like no tomorrow. The implication is clear obviously. 

When I meditate on my neck and shoulders, I have thoughts of work and all my responsibilities go through my mind. 

2 hours ago, ShardMare said:

@Gesundheit2 but how do i face my emotions?

Yes i start feeling them but what after it?

Do that enough, and then we'll talk.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

@ShardMare I think another healthy facet of this is also being aware of the fact that, while you are better facing the darkness, you dont have to live there. Meditation is literally distracting yourself from your thoughts. It's unhealthy to ignore negative things if they need dealt with, but it's just as unhealthy to be obsessed with the identity of constantly fixing yourself. Understanding that there is a difference between facing negative things untill their dealt with, and focusing on negative things all the time(even in an attempt to heal them). there will always be negative things, knowing to be open to the arrival of healing [and being conscious enough to sense when such has occured], and to letting go of the past so your self can enjoy it's human existence is important to <3

Edited by Aaron p

18 hours ago, ShardMare said:

Or why not run from it? 

Isnt its a sign that im doing something wrong when i feel a negative emotion? 

Because you can not run away forever. These emotions will always find a way to bubble up again. The only solution is facing and accepting them as part of yourself. This will make you much stronger and will make the emotions much more bearable as well. Most of the misery comes from the anticipation and fear of your emotions not from the emotions themselves.

Get clear about which emotions you are afraid of and then make a plan on how to actively confront them. This will put you back into control.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus