Illusory Self

Ideas on how to develop good work ethic using tiny habits method?

11 posts in this topic

I am trying to think of some ideas on how to develop laser focused work ethic using the tiny habits method for behaviour change. My work ethic is currently non existent so this is an important part of my life I need to fix. 

I need to try to think of good prompts of behaviours that I do before the habit & something that is super tiny.

An example is: After I finish tidying my desk (which is the prompt for new habit), I will set a 25 minute pomodoro timer. You just leave it at that at first. The idea behind it is if you do something super tiny, it makes it very easy to do & the motivation is less to do the activity. I am just having a hard time coming up with useful prompts or behaviours that I do in the day that will remind me to start this habit. The end goal is to be able to do 2.5 hrs of focused work without distractions on a specific task.

I may try to use the pomodoro technique & see how it is. 

It feels so hard doing work when I am not used to doing it at all. So this new habit is something I must make tiny to start off with. Most of the time when I try habits that are to big for me to cope with, I end up falling back into old routines. 

I really want to try to change my identity & behaviours. 

Pomodoro is good if you can't focus or want to spend the entire day reading. I haven't actually tried it, but I feel it would ruin immersion and tamper with elaborate processing.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

15 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Pomodoro is good if you can't focus or want to spend the entire day reading. I haven't actually tried it, but I feel it would ruin immersion and tamper with elaborate processing.

Do you think that pomodoro and deep work contradict each other?

Because there are some cases, when i do someting and i dive really deep into the work, and if i would have to interrupt my workflow  after 30-40 minutes, i think it would be harmful for my productivity.

I would even say, that deep work works best, when you like the activity/work what you are doing, so you can be in a sort of flow state,

I think pomodoro technique would be beneficial, when you do some work that you don't really enjoy doing.

Edited by zurew

9 minutes ago, zurew said:

Pomodoro and deep work doesn't contradict each other? Because there are some cases, when i do someting and i dive really deep into, and if i would have to interrupt my workflow there after 30-40 minutes, i think it would be harmful for my productivity. I would even say, that deep work works when you like the activity/work what you are doing, so you can be in a sort of flow state, but if you don't really like the activity i think pomodoro can be beneficial.

For example, I can't read one chapter in just 25 minutes. There is like a momentum that builds up as you read, not just reading speed, but also a type of holistic understanding combined with connections to other topics, moments where you stop and think etc. I feel like taking frequent breaks will interrupt that process somewhat. Of course, if you're struggling to read and just want to pull your hairs out, then breaks can be very beneficial.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

I feel like taking frequent breaks will interrupt that process somewhat. Of course, if you're struggling to read and just want to pull your hairs out, then breaks can be very beneficial.

Yes, i agree with you, i feel the same. I think, that these techniques are almost never for universal use, and it depends on a lot of factors when should one use them, and in what way.

@Illusory Self I'd do a small goal and a main goal for each task.

I.e. Say you want to study a chemistry book for 30 minutes 

The small goal would be something to break your inertia. The goal being to get you started in a very easy way. For example, in the current example, you could set the small goal as, 'Touch chemistry book'.

The main goal is what you actually originally aimed to have completed. Here the reading of the relevant book for 30 minutes.

Hope it helps

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

19 hours ago, Ulax said:

@Illusory Self I'd do a small goal and a main goal for each task.

I.e. Say you want to study a chemistry book for 30 minutes 

The small goal would be something to break your inertia. The goal being to get you started in a very easy way. For example, in the current example, you could set the small goal as, 'Touch chemistry book'.

The main goal is what you actually originally aimed to have completed. Here the reading of the relevant book for 30 minutes.

Hope it helps

@Ulax

Great, thanks for that. 

21 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I may have to try this for reading now! 

17 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

If you want to develop work ethic, go work on a farm in the summer. 

@BipolarGrowth

would love to but I suffer with constant bad pain in my foot when I am standing up for long periods of time

@Illusory Self You're welcome.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes for you, if you decide to try it out :)

Be-Do-Have

Made it out the inner hood

There is no failure, only feedback

I am able to study Monday to friday 3hrs a day (8 Pomodoros) after a year doing the pomodoro technique. You just need to start slowly and increment it slowly.

The main problem is that you beat yourself too much for not having the ability to focus for a long time yet, but you need to forgive yourself and find value in the process itself.

Another things that will help you are:

-Keep things simple, just start with 2x 25min of pomodoro time and pic only one task to perform, do this at least for 2 months, do not think on anything else.

-Change your identity, try to see yourself as a productive person even if you are not one yet.