Danioover9000

Mission statement mega thread.

17 posts in this topic

The reason why I want to make a mega thread of mission statements and life purpose, is to have a place where there's multiple sources of examplew and inspirations, so I'll start off with mine:

Generalised purpose: To understand life, to be a creator and contribute to the world through drawing and art in some way.

Specialized purpose: To become a freelance artist, indie illustrator that illustrates and draws the natural world in a story narrative through genres like western comics and eastern comics, mainly through analogue mediums like pencils and papers for example and using the printer to fax the physical images into a digital software for editing and touch up. Secondary specialized purpose is to become a freelance comic book artist that does the cover art, that as a past writer can write a outline and the story near 80% complete, storyboards, pencilling, inking and editing the story and drawings through digital means.

My ten year mastery plan: is mastering the drawing process and broadening my drawing and art fundamentals and skills for each area. This year would be focused more on using pencils to create more better sketches of natural objects and people, 6 months of realism and 6 months of stylish art, and go back and forth a bit mainly with pencils while participating in the inktober challenges every year. Each yesr I would swap a drawing medium for another and restart the cycle.

My top ten values: competency, understanding, consciousness, creativity, independence, uniqueness, excellence, health, beauty, enlightenment.

My top 5 feelings to feel everyday: Serenity, happiness, excitement, optimism, pride, confidence, creativity.

My top 5 character strengths: Appreciation of beauty and excellence, curiosity, love, gratitude, hope, kindness.

My zone of genius: Imagination, visualization in 3d, in colours, mentally adjust brightness, in different perspectives and angles, in pictures, in a movie format, having a mind's eye and musical ears, listening and seperating and combining different sounds. The least one is being able to feel different textures, pressures, and temperatures in my mind. Also having chess skills and visuals in checkered patterns.

My year resolution goals:

To make a graphic novel, 500 pages, cover art and back designed by me.

Am I the only one with a mission statement? No questions about how I started?

Is there any feedback on each part of my mission statement, and what's missing or more needed?

Also, here are some more of my year end resolutions:

To create a book and some stories.

To create a piece of art.

To create a website.

To study personal development.

To have a lean, healthy, energized body.

To mediate for hours a day.

To contemplate an hour, using drawing as part of that.

To build deep focus, and concentration skills.

To self inquire.

To master my sexuality.

To be unconditionally loving.

To be unconditionally happy.

To become a great communicator.

To be more social.

To be more funny.

To draw from observation.

To draw from imagination.

To draw different genres of manga.

To draw in any medium.

To wake up at 6:00 am every day, from a sleep state to an excited state, using multiple alarms and shaky body movement to wake me up more, and to sleep at 11:00 pm everyday.

To exercise and train 6 times a day, flexing, overcoming isometrics, yielding isometrics, isotonic contraction/extension for my arms and legs, for 3 sets to one rep max. 3 times a week(Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) of 'tension pulsing' isometrics, and one minute and higher push ups and pull ups, with some cardio on those days like 1-2 min jog or shadow boxing, again for 3 sets of 10 reps, reps here is each max to 80% tension I generate from an isometric position, then back to baseline tension. I had also a goal of losing weight to reach 130 pounds, I weighed 155 pounds 5 years ago, now I'm 128 pounds I want to also go for 15% body fat, gain some muscle mass but really to gain much more strength and speed and to consistently get stronger and faster. 

To nap either at lunch time, or 5:00 pm everyday, for an hour straight, in order to maximize my recover time mentally and physically

To do tai chi, chi gong or self massage and hatha yoga techniques to help me relax much more, for additional R$R.

To become great at chess, Chinese Go and to become more intelligent in other areas of life.

Please give feedback if there are problems with my mission statement. Thanks.

Life purpose is very personal so take this with a grain of salt, but here's my opinion....

I think your generalized purpose is too vague and needs to be more specific. Your specialized purpose is far too wordy.

How many pages of your graphic novel have you completed so far? We're 38% through the year, so if you haven't already completed 190 pages then it's time to re-strategize on how you'll achieve it, before it gets too late to be attainable. Personally I would break it down into X pages per day.

For your year end resolutions, you need to set SMART goals. Right now they are too vague.

How will you master your sexuality and self inquire? How will you build focus/concentration skills? What does mastering your sexuality mean? What are you creating the website for? Creating a piece of art is redundant since it's already included in your main goal. To study what about personal development? What body fat % is lean to you and how will you achieve it? How will you increase your communication and humor skills?

You need SMART goals so you have a concrete way of achieving these things. Otherwise how do you know if you're working toward them?

I have a lot of goals as well. What I've personally found is to put them into categories.

First you want ideally 1, maximum 3 of your must-complete goals. This is your main focus for the year. Your 500 page graphic novel is the no-brainer for here.

Then if you have any unfinished goals from last year that you still want to work toward, I'd put them separately. If you have like 20 goals, I think it's totally fine to only be achieving like 10 - 20% of your goals per year.

Then you can make a separate category for lower-priority stuff, things you've had on your list for multiple years but never managed to complete, or things that are just in the back of your mind.

Then I make a category for things that are 5, 10, or more years out. Lifetime stuff I want to accomplish before I die basically, but not at all a priority this year.

Habit stuff like the time you wake up and exercise I put as a separate must-complete list of goals. Make a daily checklist and check them off until they become automatic.

Life Purpose: I play Music to guide people into states of loving introspection, revealing their true nature.

Zone of Genius: Playing Music

Domain of Mastery: Music

Ideal Medium: Live Performance

Top 10 Values: 

Authenticity/Truthfulness

Music

Wisdom/Understanding

Mystical Experience

Feeling Good in my Body/mind.

Love/Connection

Purpose

Growth

Wonder/Awe

Creativity

Top 5 Strengths: 

Authenticity/Genuineness/Honesty

Wisdom/Perspective

Forgiveness/mercy

Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence

Curiosity and interest in the world.

Top 5 Goals: 

Deeper understanding of my true self, and to trust my inner wisdom/guidance.

Play a live performance.

Write 20 songs I am proud of.

Join a martial arts gym/practice consistently.

Get a job in the music industry.

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

@Yarco

20 hours ago, Yarco said:

Life purpose is very personal so take this with a grain of salt, but here's my opinion....

I think your generalized purpose is too vague and needs to be more specific. Your specialized purpose is far too wordy.

How many pages of your graphic novel have you completed so far? We're 38% through the year, so if you haven't already completed 190 pages then it's time to re-strategize on how you'll achieve it, before it gets too late to be attainable. Personally I would break it down into X pages per day.

For your year end resolutions, you need to set SMART goals. Right now they are too vague.

How will you master your sexuality and self inquire? How will you build focus/concentration skills? What does mastering your sexuality mean? What are you creating the website for? Creating a piece of art is redundant since it's already included in your main goal. To study what about personal development? What body fat % is lean to you and how will you achieve it? How will you increase your communication and humor skills?

You need SMART goals so you have a concrete way of achieving these things. Otherwise how do you know if you're working toward them?

I have a lot of goals as well. What I've personally found is to put them into categories.

First you want ideally 1, maximum 3 of your must-complete goals. This is your main focus for the year. Your 500 page graphic novel is the no-brainer for here.

Then if you have any unfinished goals from last year that you still want to work toward, I'd put them separately. If you have like 20 goals, I think it's totally fine to only be achieving like 10 - 20% of your goals per year.

Then you can make a separate category for lower-priority stuff, things you've had on your list for multiple years but never managed to complete, or things that are just in the back of your mind.

Then I make a category for things that are 5, 10, or more years out. Lifetime stuff I want to accomplish before I die basically, but not at all a priority this year.

Habit stuff like the time you wake up and exercise I put as a separate must-complete list of goals. Make a daily checklist and check them off until they become automatic.

Ok, I need way more detail in my mission statement? Thanks again, I'll be revising it much more.

Mind sharing your mission statement?

@Realms of Wonder

12 hours ago, Realms of Wonder said:

Life Purpose: I play Music to guide people into states of loving introspection, revealing their true nature.

Zone of Genius: Playing Music

Domain of Mastery: Music

Ideal Medium: Live Performance

Top 10 Values: 

Authenticity/Truthfulness

Music

Wisdom/Understanding

Mystical Experience

Feeling Good in my Body/mind.

Love/Connection

Purpose

Growth

Wonder/Awe

Creativity

Top 5 Strengths: 

Authenticity/Genuineness/Honesty

Wisdom/Perspective

Forgiveness/mercy

Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence

Curiosity and interest in the world.

Top 5 Goals: 

Deeper understanding of my true self, and to trust my inner wisdom/guidance.

Play a live performance.

Write 20 songs I am proud of.

Join a martial arts gym/practice consistently.

Get a job in the music industry.

Nice and simple looking mission statement, I like it.

Can't figure out how a person can just perform live on stage in front of hundreds if not thousands of people, and play an instrument. I had a piano and guitar, and despite my musical ears I couldn't bring myself to play live, never mind play them as a hobby. How do you perform live and practice daily?

@Akashic

2 hours ago, Akashic said:

Life purpose:

5e6d9f877dc7f2083a042f02a38cace0--terenc

To make peace with Life and Death through Love. My main guru.

Zone of genius:

160227241.0.jpg

Appreciation of beauty and excitement

Domain of mastery:

203085037.jpg

Coming up with words

Ideal medium:

DJDWo-HVAAA1LjR.jpg_large.jpg

Either YouTube or blogging or writing a book

Top 10 values:

game-of-thrones-three-eyed-crow-taxiderm

Authenticity

Confidence

Power

Knowledge

Boldness

Freedom

Wonder

Presence

Cunning

Cleverness

Top 5 goals:

61qnPRgLgdL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

?

To have a YouTube fanbase

To have cool, artsy friends

To have a beautiful, smart lady as my partner

To try DMT

To transition into a transwoman

Theme music:

So basically, is this to copy Leo's path, but as a writer in YouTube?

Sorry if this question is dumb, but can anyone explain to me what is 'domain of mastery' and 'ideal medium'?

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yarco

Ok, I need way more detail in my mission statement? Thanks again, I'll be revising it much more.

Not more detail necessarily, just more specific.

For your generalized purpose, "understanding life" is very vague, what does that mean to you?

One way to rephrase it (if I'm interpreting right) could be something like: "To contribute the lessons I've learned about being human to the world through drawing and art"

For the specialized purpose you need to cut a bunch out. I just timed myself reading it aloud and it took me nearly 30 seconds. 

Specialized purpose 1: To be an indie illustrator that reflects the natural world through comic storylines.

Specialized purpose 2: To be a freelance comic book artist that creates cover art and storyboards

I wouldn't necessarily worry about listing your ideal medium like pencil, ink, digital in your mission statement.

@Yarco

Mind sharing your mission statement?

I forget the difference between mission statement and life purpose.

My LP from 2017 - 2021 was "Summarizing information in an easy-to-digest format and empowering people to pursue their dreams." (In practical terms, blogging and writing articles)

This year I changed it to "Explaining unique topics to people to create a sense of awe and wonder" although it feels kind of vague and not fully aligned so I might tweak it a little next year.

Each year I create a sort of general theme for my life as well...

For 2020 it was "Live as though this is my last year alive". (Maybe a "be careful what you wish for" situation where I accidentally created covid through my intention, oops, sorry guys). I also tried to focus on the ideas of the Noble Eightfold Path (right view, right mindfulness, right intention, right speech, right action, etc...)

In 2021 I had a few themes... Embrace suffering, Year of the body and mind, Commit, Become a Man. Another focus was the idea that to be happy, you need to align what you think, say, and do.

2022 is Stop doing things in life that don't make you happy, Be your true self, live up to your full potential

My main goal for this year is to create a podcast with at least 52 episodes. I'm at 38 so far.

Other goals (I have SMART paragraphs for each one. Shortened here for simplicity's sake):

• Make a synthwave or rap album inspired by my hometown in the 90s. (I know nothing about music composition at this point)
  • Learn 3D modelling in Blender and Gravity Sketch
  • Start creating my own metaverse in Horizon Worlds
  • Earn X $ through writing
  • Declutter my house of anything I don't need / regularly use (minimalism lite)
  • Make new IRL friends?
  • Achieve a healthy weight / BMI
  • Meditate daily
  • Spend more time with family
  • Eat less sugar/carbs/wheat/dairy/corn/artificial chemicals/meat
  • Be more self-sufficient with food by expanding my garden (just planted 42 potato plants in my yard, hoping to harvest a couple hundred pounds this fall, along with a bunch of other stuff)
  • Start taking Muay Thai lessons
  • Sensory deprivation tank (after I've meditated for at least 90 days in a row without missing a day, so I can make the most of it)
  • Create a standup comedy routine and perform in front of a crowd, or record and post online
  • Learn to sing
  • Create and publish a video game
  • Hit 100 comics published for my webcomic
  • Start a "verboten thoughtcrime blog" to express my political ideologies and general thoughts about life (I think I'm changing this into writing a book instead)
  • Do Sadhguru's Inner Engineering program (done)

Miscellaneous habits:

• Go to bed and wake up at a reasonable time
  • Drink 3L of water per day
  • Start taking cold showers
  • Floss daily consistently (maybe add water pik)
  • Keep house more organized. Vacuum etc 2x a week instead of 1x.
  • Transition to more natural deodorants, soaps, etc.

Very long term goals:

• Create a freelance writing online course or content agency
  • Spiritual enlightenment (2025)
  • Buy a fully detached home on at least 5 acres (2025 - 2030)
  • Form a Discord group or online community to help people achieve financial independence, fuel their inventions/dreams, mentorship program (2025+)
  • Treasure hunting, panning for gold or searching for other rare gems/minerals (2030+)
  • Create an entirely self-sufficient commune / community (2030+)
  • Map the bottom of the entire ocean / discover new deep sea species / recover lost treasure from sunken ships (2030+, this project will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars if I ever get to it)
  • TED talk (2030+)
  • Take psychedelics (??? - Low priority for now after multiple bad THC experiences unless I get diagnosed with a terminal illness)

My top 3 values:

1. Health/vigor/energy

2. Contribution/impact

3. Freedom/independence (covid lockdowns pushed this way up the list for me)

My 3 signature strengths:

1. Perspective wisdom

2. Judgement, critical thinking, and open-mindedness

3. Love of learning / curiousity and interest in the world.

High conciousness virtue to build my career around: Creativity (originality, ingenuity, expression)

Ideal medium: Podcasts, Youtube/Alt-Tech videos, Blog posts

43 minutes ago, Danioover9000 said:

Sorry if this question is dumb, but can anyone explain to me what is 'domain of mastery' and 'ideal medium'?

I would say your domain of mastery is illustration/drawing and your ideal medium is pencil/ink/digital. It's like the main thing you do, and the tools you use to achieve it.

Edited by Yarco

11 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Realms of Wonder

Nice and simple looking mission statement, I like it.

Can't figure out how a person can just perform live on stage in front of hundreds if not thousands of people, and play an instrument. I had a piano and guitar, and despite my musical ears I couldn't bring myself to play live, never mind play them as a hobby. How do you perform live and practice daily?

I LOVE performing live. Being able to connect with people in that way is so meaningful and inspiring to me.

my practice rn is quite counterintuitive. Since my domain of mastery is not an instrument, but Music itself, I practice “listening” to universal music, and letting it inform my actions as I sing, create instruments/synths, add effects, play Melodies, chords, etc.

it’s a lot more about listening and letting for of control, than it is practicing a narrow technique with an instrument.

that being said, I have a foundation of skill with violin, piano, and composition, so that helps a ton.

Edited by Realms of Wonder

Welcome, to the authenticity evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEMc_MGhRl-1t3MoV36uG1A

@Realms of Wonder

On 22/05/2022 at 7:42 AM, Realms of Wonder said:

I LOVE performing live. Being able to connect with people in that way is so meaningful and inspiring to me.

my practice rn is quite counterintuitive. Since my domain of mastery is not an instrument, but Music itself, I practice “listening” to universal music, and letting it inform my actions as I sing, create instruments/synths, add effects, play Melodies, chords, etc.

it’s a lot more about listening and letting for of control, than it is practicing a narrow technique with an instrument.

that being said, I have a foundation of skill with violin, piano, and composition, so that helps a ton.

Was there a time when you felt nervous playing live?

@Yarco

On 21/05/2022 at 8:52 PM, Yarco said:

Not more detail necessarily, just more specific.

For your generalized purpose, "understanding life" is very vague, what does that mean to you?

One way to rephrase it (if I'm interpreting right) could be something like: "To contribute the lessons I've learned about being human to the world through drawing and art"

For the specialized purpose you need to cut a bunch out. I just timed myself reading it aloud and it took me nearly 30 seconds. 

Specialized purpose 1: To be an indie illustrator that reflects the natural world through comic storylines.

Specialized purpose 2: To be a freelance comic book artist that creates cover art and storyboards

I wouldn't necessarily worry about listing your ideal medium like pencil, ink, digital in your mission statement.

I forget the difference between mission statement and life purpose.

My LP from 2017 - 2021 was "Summarizing information in an easy-to-digest format and empowering people to pursue their dreams." (In practical terms, blogging and writing articles)

This year I changed it to "Explaining unique topics to people to create a sense of awe and wonder" although it feels kind of vague and not fully aligned so I might tweak it a little next year.

Each year I create a sort of general theme for my life as well...

For 2020 it was "Live as though this is my last year alive". (Maybe a "be careful what you wish for" situation where I accidentally created covid through my intention, oops, sorry guys). I also tried to focus on the ideas of the Noble Eightfold Path (right view, right mindfulness, right intention, right speech, right action, etc...)

In 2021 I had a few themes... Embrace suffering, Year of the body and mind, Commit, Become a Man. Another focus was the idea that to be happy, you need to align what you think, say, and do.

2022 is Stop doing things in life that don't make you happy, Be your true self, live up to your full potential

My main goal for this year is to create a podcast with at least 52 episodes. I'm at 38 so far.

Other goals (I have SMART paragraphs for each one. Shortened here for simplicity's sake):

• Make a synthwave or rap album inspired by my hometown in the 90s. (I know nothing about music composition at this point)
  • Learn 3D modelling in Blender and Gravity Sketch
  • Start creating my own metaverse in Horizon Worlds
  • Earn X $ through writing
  • Declutter my house of anything I don't need / regularly use (minimalism lite)
  • Make new IRL friends?
  • Achieve a healthy weight / BMI
  • Meditate daily
  • Spend more time with family
  • Eat less sugar/carbs/wheat/dairy/corn/artificial chemicals/meat
  • Be more self-sufficient with food by expanding my garden (just planted 42 potato plants in my yard, hoping to harvest a couple hundred pounds this fall, along with a bunch of other stuff)
  • Start taking Muay Thai lessons
  • Sensory deprivation tank (after I've meditated for at least 90 days in a row without missing a day, so I can make the most of it)
  • Create a standup comedy routine and perform in front of a crowd, or record and post online
  • Learn to sing
  • Create and publish a video game
  • Hit 100 comics published for my webcomic
  • Start a "verboten thoughtcrime blog" to express my political ideologies and general thoughts about life (I think I'm changing this into writing a book instead)
  • Do Sadhguru's Inner Engineering program (done)

Miscellaneous habits:

• Go to bed and wake up at a reasonable time
  • Drink 3L of water per day
  • Start taking cold showers
  • Floss daily consistently (maybe add water pik)
  • Keep house more organized. Vacuum etc 2x a week instead of 1x.
  • Transition to more natural deodorants, soaps, etc.

Very long term goals:

• Create a freelance writing online course or content agency
  • Spiritual enlightenment (2025)
  • Buy a fully detached home on at least 5 acres (2025 - 2030)
  • Form a Discord group or online community to help people achieve financial independence, fuel their inventions/dreams, mentorship program (2025+)
  • Treasure hunting, panning for gold or searching for other rare gems/minerals (2030+)
  • Create an entirely self-sufficient commune / community (2030+)
  • Map the bottom of the entire ocean / discover new deep sea species / recover lost treasure from sunken ships (2030+, this project will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars if I ever get to it)
  • TED talk (2030+)
  • Take psychedelics (??? - Low priority for now after multiple bad THC experiences unless I get diagnosed with a terminal illness)

My top 3 values:

1. Health/vigor/energy

2. Contribution/impact

3. Freedom/independence (covid lockdowns pushed this way up the list for me)

My 3 signature strengths:

1. Perspective wisdom

2. Judgement, critical thinking, and open-mindedness

3. Love of learning / curiousity and interest in the world.

High conciousness virtue to build my career around: Creativity (originality, ingenuity, expression)

Ideal medium: Podcasts, Youtube/Alt-Tech videos, Blog posts

I would say your domain of mastery is illustration/drawing and your ideal medium is pencil/ink/digital. It's like the main thing you do, and the tools you use to achieve it.

I've had my mission statement for roughly 7+ years, and seen little improvements and accomplished only a few small goals, but I never was aware about a domain of mastery and ideal medium to include into my list, so am definitely going to change my list a bit, from the ground up.

Am also gonna retake the LP, and get more details out from my visions of my life. If I have to dream walk into parallel universes to find out, so be it.

Very nice looking mission statement, thanks for sharing! 

Am also gonna retake the LP, and get more details out from my visions of my life. If I have to dream walk into parallel universes to find out, so be it.

Yeah I highly recommend this. I set aside a few hours per day for a week every December to re-do the entire course. At a bare minimum I think it's worth coming back to every 5 or 10 years. There might be more stuff like domain of mastery and ideal medium that you missed.

@Yarco

On 5/23/2022 at 4:06 PM, Yarco said:

Yeah I highly recommend this. I set aside a few hours per day for a week every December to re-do the entire course. At a bare minimum I think it's worth coming back to every 5 or 10 years. There might be more stuff like domain of mastery and ideal medium that you missed.

Thanks, a quick question: What do you do if you discovered another source of passion? For example, as I'm working away my drawings and writing skills along with learning computer stuff, I in my leisure time listened to some music like rock and roll(hard and soft), disco, music like 009 sound system dream scape...which leads to, let's say a really good rap song, and found that while it's difficult to follow the rapping and rhyming verbatim, my mind's musical ears follow the vocals and musical elements and can reproduce them internally. Is this a good source to investigate further? Is this zone of genius at play? 

@Danioover9000

You can have other passions without them being a life purpose. Maybe you just enjoy music, lots of people enjoy music. Feel free to investigate further and lean into it, and see if there's anything more there. Do you just want to listen to music, do you want to find out what makes good and bad music and be a reviewer and music critic like Anthony Fantano, do you want to learn to make your own music? Or will it stay as just a hobby you enjoy in your spare time? That's perfectly fine too.

You just have to experiment a bit and see how it feels.

For me as an example:

Writing is my primary medium / life purpose and has been since 2017, and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

I've had a few feelings that I should branch out into other mediums though, so I try them out.

I wanted to start a webcomic so I did. I made about 20 comics and then kind of lost my passion for it and stopped. I saw that I wasn't going to be able to fulfill one of my main values of contribution/impact with it.

I wanted to start a podcast as a different medium to fulfill my same life purpose, as a substitute to writing to mix things up a bit. I've been doing this since February.

I wanted to learn 3D modelling so I downloaded software and bought a couple of cheap courses on Udemy to start learning the basics. It feels like there might be something there that really calls to me, but the learning curve is very steep and I feel like I have other priorities right now. I think I'll come back to it and something really good could be there for me, maybe I could even transition careers into it somewhere down the road, but I'm putting it on the backburner for now.

Don't be afraid to try different stuff and have multiple plates spinning at once. Just try not to dabble too much. Think of a few things at most that you want to seriously try each year and commit for a time.