Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danioover9000

Art and business.

8 posts in this topic

I came across this video, and the channel, for people who like drawing, painting and art work involving a mark making tool onto a surface medium, might like the channel.

https://youtu.be/TX4IdBPB_Ko

What are your thoughts about this?

1 hour ago, A_v_E said:

if you do art for money you are not doing true art.

This is just a cope of artistic people who are bad with business/money and too lazy to learn. Either that or deep down they realize that realistically they aren't good enough to make money, and this is their excuse to never even try.

You don't have to "sell out" but you can't just make whatever you want and expect everything to work out either.

If you're a good writer, take a look at what genre and type of book the market actually wants write now, and then write that. Suck it up for 2 or 3 years and pump out some quality novels. Then when you have enough passive money coming in and an audience built up, you can write whatever obscure magnum opus you want and people will read it.

If you're really a talented musician, sell out and make some pop music for a couple years. It's just following a formula, it's easy. Then you can retire and do whatever obscure Yoko Ono shit you want for the rest of your life.

You have your whole life to do "true art" aka selfish art. The kind of art that no one except you wants or needs, and the path where maybe a couple dozen people ever see your work. But if you insist on being an egotistical self-aggrandizing artist "sticking to your principles" you're always going to be broke and a loser. The art of most people doing "true art" sucks. Most people doing "true art" lack the discipline to ever create something truly great. Most people making "true art" take 5+ years to put out a single painting or novel or album.

Don't even think of yourself as an artist. Think of yourself like a tradesman like a carpenter or something. Treat your art like a trade. You have to put in the hours and hard work. Pretend you're working for a company and you need to have something to show the progress you've made at the end of the day or week.

@A_v_E

2 hours ago, A_v_E said:

Didn't watch but if you do art for money you are not doing true art. You're being intoxicated by a lower survival memes that has nothing to do with exploring and playing with gods. True artists doesn't care about money as long as we are fed to keep exploring. Money is a devil when it's a goal. It shall be a side effect of love.

Maybe watch the video first for context and understanding, so that you can better share your thoughts.

6 hours ago, A_v_E said:

My art is not a fucking door mate. It's not supposed to be enjoyed by anyone but myself.

Yeah this is why I think most art (and the mindset of most self-aggrandizing ego-centric artists) is garbage. You can make art that you enjoy AND other people enjoy.

Art is supposed to be expressive. What's the point of expressing yourself if no one ever sees it, or would even want to see it? It's like spending your whole life writing hundreds of speeches that you never plan to give. Speeches (and art) are meant to be delivered and enjoyed by people. Maybe It can be used solo as a form of self-therapy I guess, that's about it.

I guess my values are just so different that I can't conceptualize why someone would sacrifice everything to live in squalor, masturbating over their own art, thinking they're some kind of genius.

Edited by Yarco

8 hours ago, A_v_E said:

My art is not a fucking door mate. It's not supposed to be enjoyed by anyone but myself. If I don't enjoy it. It's garbage.

Nice take.. And I agree, when I try to serve people with my art, people don't enjoy it netiher I. When I enjoy my art and just be egoist in my art making, people enjoy it. 

@A_v_E For me, ultimate artistic freedom would look like being able to have complete freedom to make art, and that the art could financially sustain me, without the need for supplemental income. 

45 minutes ago, A_v_E said:

Life is completely meaningless absolute deep void. I create the cake and the value.

Yes thats true, however there are things that we collectively agree on that has some value. For example money, money is an illusion that has a value that everyone is agreeing on or in other words we collectively as a market putting emphasis on money. There are also a million different kind of items and services that we as a market collectively creating and putting value on, but in reality thats all an illusion. However, all those things are really useful.

In my opinion, you can do everything artfully. For example, if you think you have an important message, it could be important and useful to put that message and use some art to make it more digestible ( for example make a very good and well edited youtube video about it ). So you can do your art without targeting anyone but you can do it targetfully as well.

You can say that art should speak for itself, and shouldn't be distorted by doing it for money or for special targets or for a purpose. I sort of agree with this, but i think art shouldn't be pinned down just like that.  Art can be useful if you want to do it that way, art can speak for itself if you want to do it that way.

For the ego there is always a need to do things for reasons. I write this message for a reason, you wrote your message for yarco for a reason. Even when you say, that you do art for itself, i think even there you could find some underlying reasons why you do it (You enjoy doing art, so that could be a reason for doing it, if you would not enjoy it you probably wouldn't do it). We are highly depended on our meaning making and value judging processes. But from the Absolute perspective you are right.

53 minutes ago, A_v_E said:

The goal is grasping god. Not to makes money or a living. 

If you have enough money that you don't need to worry about food and shelter, then this is true. However, if we don't satisfy the lower stages of maslow's hierarchy, then you won't be able to do art just for itself, without worrying about doing it for a specific market. So if you need money you can create it in a different way than being an artist, however you could do both at the same time.

I agree with you, that money should'nt be the main goal. But if you need to satisfy your needs first, there will be a little distortion in your art work to be able to make your needs met, so after that you can fully focus on what you really want to do.

Art and business, to me, exists in a spectrum. At first, we can make distinctions between the two, but the too are interconnected such that either end empowers the other.