PurpleTree

How do you deal with people who talk a lot of stuff you find uninteresting?

7 posts in this topic

Some people just talk a lot and also a lot of "uninteresting" stuff imo, they can't stand silence

I'll often try to meet them at their interests and talk nonsense with them but it's often boring

Do you try to steer the convo in a direction you're more interested in?

I don't mind silence sometimes

Also how do you deal with people who make horrible jokes and expect you to laugh at them? i often feel guilty if i can't laugh at their stuff

Edited by PurpleTree

5 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

Do you try to steer the convo in a direction you're more interested in?

No, I try to be respectful and kind with "Mhm" responses, but am eventually heading into the direction of ending the conversation. Usually by either turning my body away from them, as if I'm about to go somewhere, or if I'm sitting, I will try to seem as if I'm busy doing my own thing and therefore cannot listen to them.

@PurpleTree I try to be kind and polite and sometimes you never know you might learn something new from a person that has a different perspective!

If the connection is truly not there it’s not worth pursuing. Life is more enjoyable with people that you can truly connect with and have similar interests.

9 minutes ago, somegirl said:

No, I try to be respectful and kind with "Mhm" responses, but am eventually heading into the direction of ending the conversation. Usually by either turning my body away from them, as if I'm about to go somewhere, or if I'm sitting, I will try to seem as if I'm busy doing my own thing and therefore cannot listen to them.

yeah i'll also do the Mhm sometimes, or stare off into space

2 minutes ago, Peace-and-Love said:

@PurpleTree I try to be kind and polite and sometimes you never know you might learn something new from a person that has a different perspective!

If the connection is truly not there it’s not worth pursuing. Life is more enjoyable with people that you can truly connect with and have similar interests.

Two of my work collegues for example are like that. One of them is really annoying she's also kind of my superior so i can't just walk away and have to fake smiles at her dumb jokes. :P The other one just can never shut up, probably can't stand silence, with him i'll just try to steer the convo into different directions. Another one also never shuts up but he often talks interesting stuff at least.

A friend for example also likes to talk to me about nonsensical bs, he talks to me about brands and brags about stuff, which i really don't care about. But he's good peoples otherwise.

xD Depends on how much you value your time/attention and how much of this you feel is a 'requirement' as you say for your employment... If it feels conditional of your employment I guess some balance is needed if you want to keep your job? Otherwise can just get away from the person or minimize interaction.

I'm the same way these days... hard to be around someone just ranting and not really engaging. I have sympathy to an extent maybe they never felt fully heard and need therapy or something. Just doesn't change how I want to engage with someone..

I am Lord of Heaven, Second Coming of Jesus Christ. ❣ Warning: nobody here has reached the true God.

┊ ┊⋆ ┊ . ♪ 星空のディスタンス ♫┆彡 what are you dreaming today?

天国が来る | 私は道であり、真実であり、命であり。

3 minutes ago, Gregory1 said:

I just close my eyes and pretend like I'm sleeping.

Works every time ?