Philipp

Does someone know why Leo change from game design to web design?

6 posts in this topic

I don't know why, but this transition just seems so odd to me.

How is designing a web site more interesting than designing a game (especially for someone who likes games). 

Why would you chase this dream of yours to then change into something that is way easier to get into. 

Was it just to be able to work as a freelancer? But why not try to create your own game then.

I don't know why but this question just bothers me a lot, does someone know why?

He worked at a big game studio. The one that developed Bioshock(I think he even worked on some of the early stages). He realized that working at a big game studio wouldnt allow him the creative autonomy to develop the games he really wanted so he quit and focused on his internet marketing business. I think he then realized that game design wasnt really his life purpose and he hated his internet marketing business so he got into the self help and life coaching field and eventually it evolved into actualized.org

Developing a game requires a massive budget. Web development was a way to earn money to fund such projects.

FYI, I've been designing websites since I was in middle school. So it wasn't a big switch. I already had the skill set.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Thanks so much! I know you have had some deep awakening and those are some basic questions (they help a lot though) 

If I may ask you two final questions:

Have you earned more money by creating websites, than by just continuing your job as a game designer? (or was it more about being independent?)

And are you willing to share, what kind of internet marketing business you have built in the past? (and would you recommend doing this, as a gateway to one's purpose?)

I learn a lot by modelling and even though I try to let go of this and fully focus on my inner compass, it kind of helps to resolve those questions, in order to let them go. 

21 minutes ago, Philipp said:

Have you earned more money by creating websites, than by just continuing your job as a game designer? (or was it more about being independent?)

I didn't just create websites, I launched websites, marketed them, and made lots of sales through them.

I earned lots of money doing that. Way more than a salary job could ever pay. Game designers are not paid very well. I was making $45k/yr as an entry level game designer in Boston. I was making $150k-$200k/yr off my website(s) and my partner was making that much as well. So actually the gross of our site was close to $400k/yr at its peak.

And are you willing to share, what kind of internet marketing business you have built in the past?

I'm not going to get into that.

(and would you recommend doing this, as a gateway to one's purpose?)

It worked for me, but it came at significant cost to my mental well-being and it's not easy to pull it off. Internet marketing has changed A LOT in the last 10 years since I stopped doing it. So I cannot say what works today. The stuff that I did 10 years ago will no longer work. The internet is a different beast. But of course there are always new opportunities to make lots of money online. I just can't help you there.

But you can also make a shit-load of money in games. If you know how to develop great games.

Huge money can be made in almost any industry. Pick whichever you love most.

It's possible to make a game that earns $100 million in profit. See Stardew Valley as one example.

Minecraft made billions.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 2/21/2022 at 6:56 PM, Leo Gura said:

I've been designing websites since I was in middle school. So it wasn't a big switch. I already had the skill set.

The same as me and for the same reason :D  , web - game - web . It's hard to earn money from games, so i've decided to start making only hyper-casual games for big publishers like Voodoo. I'm in process of ideation for my next HC hit game right now. it's not easy to get some innovative ideas but it's fun for me. Btw - Voodoo is donating 5.000 - 20.000$ for good hc idea only right now, and 1.000.000$ for published games on their platform that reach 5mil downloads + other rewards.

So that's one example of how you could become a game dev milionare.  :)