Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machinegun

My values list is mostly negatively motivated

7 posts in this topic

For the LPC, most of my values are negatively motivated, but the way I see it, it's necessary because I need the values to live the good life (things like courage or vigor). 

Technically, you are supposed to include things that would make you happy/fulfilled. Do I change it?

The course will explicitly tell you on passes where you should go back and replace values with other ones. I know you do it initially for toxic values, but I don't remember if you do it for negatively motivated ones. I'm also mixing it up in my head with congruence ratings, I think.

I would just stick with it for now unless you think there are better values to put in their place. You can always make final adjustments at the end.

Being negatively motivated toward a toxic value like money is bad, but being negatively motivated toward a positive value could be okay IMO.

If the values are negatively motivated you can find and label the positive motivation for them. You may have both.

if it is only negative, you can still be aware of this, just don’t intend to make your overall life about these things. They will naturally become less important to you as you heal your psyche and reorient toward positivity.

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

@Bob Seeker So should I keep the values list as is because it is authentic to me, and trust that it will develop over time?

@machinegun it depends what your intention is, what you want to use the list for.

If you are trying to triangulate a general life purpose area, I wouldn’t want primarily negatively motivated values on the list because they are not going to be fulfilling in the long run.

if you plan to use the list to build self-awareness with which you could navigate life, then it could potentially be useful to have the negative values listed at least somewhere. 

if I remember correctly, this may be part of the course.

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

It's a great opportunity to make a distinction. For example maybe you don't really value sex itself (remember that time you had horrible sex?), maybe you value connection. You can find many distinctions... like maybe you don't value power, maybe you value freedom.. i dunno. That section of the LP course is incredible IMO.