Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rnd

Fish oil? Krill oil? And how much?

12 posts in this topic

Are Omega-3 fish oil good?

Is 1 capcule per day, of 1000 mg, enough? On a bottle it reads "3 times per day", but Andrew Huberman says "1 time per day, 1000 mg, is enough".

Should a capcule be swallowed or chewed?

Or should I use krill oil instead?

---

By the way, what disgusting taste of fish oil many people refer to? I've tried it after many years of being a vegetarian and I've loved it.

Edited by rnd

You definitely don't want to be chewing :D unless you have a fetish for gross stuff 

3 times a day is safe if you are not on antidiabetic medication or on any anticoagulants such as warfarin or heparin or regularly using salicylic acid. 

That being said you want to make a damn sure that fish oil is clean. I would NEVER buy it without knowing 100% about the manufacturing process and especially heavy metal filtration process otherwise you may be buying a toxic cocktail of metals and industrial chemicals in a pill. If the manufacturer does not disclose anything about rigorous filtration and testing chug those pills down the toilet. You don't ever want to buy them from random company or in a supermarket for the cheapest price A good quality fish oil may cost you up to $80 per 90 pill box. Find a company that can present a certificate upon request that their product is third party tested and clean. 

If not sure, just go for algal oil which is where fish get EPA & DHA in the first place. Costs slightly more but it is cleaner,safer, more ethical and more ecological. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Krill is better but more expensive. It ought to be cleaner.

The more the better but it quickly gets pricey to take it 3x per day.

8 hours ago, rnd said:

chewed?

Lol O.o

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

price A good quality fish oil may cost you up to $80 per 90 pill box.

Is that so expensive because it's the US? I bought mine for 10 USD for 60 piils here in Brazil.

How would I find out about its quality and a certificate? Present certificate to who and how? Upon my request? So much pain in the ass to even find something of non bad quality

it says that it's Omega-3 manufactured in the US --> Rexall Sundown inc, from FL

Do you know if that's safe? It's  got some *some* certificates, yes. But may be not all necessary.

Edited by rnd

50 minutes ago, rnd said:

Is that so expensive because it's the US? I bought mine for 10 USD for 60 piils here in Brazil.

yeah, prices may differ in South America for sure., sorry I kinda assumed you were in USA. Definitely gets cheaper elsewhere

51 minutes ago, rnd said:

How would I find out about its quality and a certificate? Present certificate to who and how? Upon my request? So much pain in the ass to even find something of non bad quality

I would often contact companies directly. Like if I order supplements for my clients where I'm not too sure, I'd often just call them directly and either ask to be sent more details or ask to speak to their product expert. But if this sounds like too much hassle, see what it says on packaging. 

53 minutes ago, rnd said:

it says that it's Omega-3 manufactured in the US --> Rexall Sundown inc, from FL

Do you know if that's safe? It's  got some *some* certificates, yes. But may be not all necessary.

not sure, their website has some blabber about it but nothing too specific. I'd probably send them an email. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I would be wary of cheap fish oil.

Find a good brand.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Krill is better but more expensive. It ought to be cleaner.

Although, clearner but sitll possible to contain heavy metals?

In google search there're some Krill oil items that've poped up, for around 30 USD, again - in Brazil. Should, for safety, I switch to Krill oil?

12 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I would be wary of cheap fish oil.

Yeah, but the price alone isn't a full-proof guarantee of quality.

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

not sure, their website has some blabber about it but nothing too specific. I'd probably send them an email. 

I see, thanks.

I sent them an email,  asked: do you guys have a certificate that your fish oil is a) clean from metals b) tested by a third-party(ies)

Another alternative you could consider would be flax seed oil. Pretty expensive though getting a quality organic bottle in glass. 

I usually take 4 capsules at once - each has 180 mg EPA, 120 DHA. I take it on before a meal or with a meal that doesn't have much omega 6. This way omega 3 should be absorbed better. It's 4000 mg of fish oil but capsules are on the lower side of EPA/DHA content.  It is advised to take only one a day, but some other brand (same amount EPA and DHA) suggest taking two.

Is that too much..? 9_9

1 hour ago, Average Investor said:

Another alternative you could consider would be flax seed oil. Pretty expensive though getting a quality organic bottle in glass. 

ALA has about 1% of conversion rate. Unfortunately it's not an alternative.