Terell Kirby

Cali vs. NYC

11 posts in this topic

I have an receive offer to work for a popular tech company (it was on my target list), and have the option to work out San Fran / Bay Area or New York City.

Right now, I am trying to determine which would be a good fit based on the following:

• Cost of Living
  • Quality of Living
  • Cultural Diversity
  • Food (had to throw this one in)
  • Public transportation system
  • Activities (museums, parks, beaches, clubs, festivals, etc)

Does any live or has previously lived in one or both cities? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Both are extremely global, diverse, and expensive cities. I've only been to SF a handful of times, but I do consistently go to NYC (easy commute from Jersey). NYC is amazing and pretty much has all the same opportunities SF has. In my opinion, SF is way more stage green, where as NYC way is more stage orange. However, NYC beats SF any day when it comes to culture. In SF now, the culture from my understanding mostly consists of tech nerds. NYC's cultural heritage goes back centuries, and many of the local culture/art scene circles consist of people from more diverse backgrounds. So if you want a place that runs on Stage Green ideals, I'd go SF. If you want to live a fast paced life, expose yourself to different perspectives, a better dating market, and simply more diverse, then NYC wins all day.

@kray yes they are. Specifically DevOps .. there are a lot of opportunities out in Silicon Valley. Like you said, it's expensive .. but the job market is hot, and a lot of tech companies are paying out fairly large salaries.

Not sure myself, but wanted to say congrats on the job offer!

Be-Do-Have

You have to play the cards you're dealt

There is no failure, only feedback

I would go to NYC - went two times as a kid... amazing city.  A lot of culture, diversity, exploration, fun, adventure, immigrants from 'everywhere', food from 'everywhere', very special city.  You will learn about more than USA, you will learn about the world.

Edited by Loba

1 hour ago, Loba said:

I would go to NYC - went two times as a kid... amazing city.  A lot of culture, diversity, exploration, fun, adventure, immigrants from 'everywhere', food from 'everywhere', very special city.  You will learn about more than USA, you will learn about the world.

Love it. Thanks.

Try not to take advice from anyone who hasn’t spent significant amounts of time/ lived in either or both of these places too seriously. My past two years I’ve been lucky enough to move around the country for work. I’ve noticed that every city and different areas around them tend to be completely unique. 

Will you be living directly in SF or NYC? The “cities” are always going to be somewhat different than any of the adjacent towns. 

I never lived in or around either city but I can say that West Coast tends to be much more “chill” than East Coast. Both cities are so diverse it’ll blow your mind  

In the end, I’m happy for you to have this opportunity and hope you enjoy it.  Take the jump and fully embrace your new situation wherever that may be!

Edited by Everything