Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cathal

What does purpose MEAN to you?

8 posts in this topic

I really keep seeing too many variations in this word purpose and I'm beginning to even wonder what the fuck it means.

If I asked you what is your 'purpose in life' what would you answer? Because I don't mean to ask the definition but what is your purpose in life, why tf do you wake up, what is your vision in this lifetime? 

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

A) Something that brings deep meaning and ultimate fulfillment to my life and existence on this planet. 

B) Something that I'm very passionate and mad about. Something I cannot live without. 

C) purpose is something that makes me achieve a more wholesome version of myself. Something that improves my overall caliber. 

D) all of the above. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India can I ask what that is for you?

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

@catcat69123 sure. 

Although my purpose is still in development. I've a pretty vague idea of it. 

I wanted to be a writer ever since I was a kid. I write an awful lot but much of it is always hurried, unplanned and left unfinished. But I have a huge passion for writing. 

I also wish to excel at art because art fulfills my creative spirit and desires. I don't wish to be a great artist but I want to be able to express myself generously through both art and writing.

The other purpose I have in mind is to help people at some point in my life. I'm looking forward to getting a degree in psychology because I want to help people who are stuck in life and show them a path in life, help them so that they don't make the same mistakes I make, don't fall into the traps I fell into. I want to raise people's consciousness and spiritual levels, I want them to discover of spirituality that I discovered through my work.. I want to be a source of hope to those who suffer in life and show them that they can succeed. I want to show them hope and light. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

to be non-judgmental and love all people 

i want everyone to be loved as they are, and create change through this place

i don't like when people or groups or marginalized,  and i also don't even like when people marginalize those that marginalize. 

radical empathy i suppose. help bring humanity closer to each other. sounds a bit hippie but whatever lol 

Edited by Jacob Morres

@Preety_India Maybe it could all fall together for you ;) 

@Jacob MorresDoesn't sound hippie at all, sounds like you have a keen eye for things that feel right and wrong. I have found that I got into a lot of ruts of a kind of depressive nihilistic world view by thinking I'll never be able to make the change I want to see in the world, but now I see it as not so much worldy transformation rather than inner transformation - since one follows the other, sure you can do start with worldly transformation but what a mess you'd end up as (trust me)

Empathy is a cu** to master :D

It's a magnet that makes you want to keep continuing forward in life, to keep getting up in the morning, to not hate your life. It feels like something you're designed or called to do. It's the most effortless or frictionless thing you could do, if you had to pick one thing to do for 8 hours a day every day. It's something that feels meaningful to do. For most people it involves contributing or giving back in some way, even if it's something you're getting paid for. You'd probably do it anyway even if you weren't. It's probably something you're already doing in some capacity.

Edited by Yarco

Let's assume the life is meaningless position in Nihilism. If that's true that the objective world has zero meaning, then purpose is what a sentient being's mind projection of what is meaningful is, on top of what's meaningless below. It's also the sum parts, continually growing, of different life experiences, fields, and so on, that gives purpose this huge versatility over reality, and it's relativity.