Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardkill

Trying to cater to the progressives was Biden's big mistake

26 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Opo said:

Young people like Bernie. 

It's just a matter of time before they become a majority. 

I don't see how we will ever have enough progressives in the US within our lifetime who would be able to elect a progressive President. In fact, I don't see how a progressive would ever get elected president if a progressive is someone who is a radical leftist or is too advance for his time. 

Also, how will the Republican Party ever become much more moderate?

8 hours ago, Hardkill said:

I don't see how we will ever have enough progressives in the US within our lifetime who would be able to elect a progressive President.

I don't understand what's hard to see. 

Young people voted primarily for Bernie. 

So when old people die they will become a majority. 

In fact, I don't see how a progressive would ever get elected president if a progressive is someone who is a radical leftist or is too advance for his time. 

If you want to look at it that way sure. By then Bernie politics will be centrist. 

Also, how will the Republican Party ever become much more moderate?

What they are doing now isn't popular with young people. 

18 hours ago, Opo said:

I don't understand what's hard to see. 

Young people voted primarily for Bernie. 

So when old people die they will become a majority. 

Yeah, but most young people don't vote. So, how we count on having the majority of young people today participate in elections in the future?

18 hours ago, Opo said:

If you want to look at it that way sure. By then Bernie politics will be centrist. 

Okay, that probably will be true.

18 hours ago, Opo said:

What they are doing now isn't popular with young people. 

That's true, but Republicans and conservatives always have a significant undemocratic advantage in practically every kind of election held throughout the country because of the archaic flawed rules built in the election systems within the country that definitely need to change but might not ever change within the future.

Unfortunately Biden entered office with a weak hand, in that the razor thin majority that Democrats hold in the US Senate is at the mercy of  obstructionism by just one or two Senators choosing to place the interests of their corporate donors over the good of the country.

Biden could have done more to advocate for things like the $15 minimum wage and Build Back Better, but without any actual leverage to work from it's not surprising that his legislative agenda has been obstructed.

Bernie definitely would have done a better job of advocating for his positions were he elected president instead of Biden (and thus moving the Overton window Left), but it's doubtful he would have had much more luck getting his legislative agenda passed had he entered office with the same hand as Biden.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

2 hours ago, DocWatts said:

Unfortunately Biden entered office with a weak hand, in that the razor thin majority that Democrats hold in the US Senate is at the mercy of  obstructionism by just one or two Senators choosing to place the interests of their corporate donors over the good of the country.

Biden could have done more to advocate for things like the $15 minimum wage and Build Back Better, but without any actual leverage to work from it's not surprising that his legislative agenda has been obstructed.

Bernie definitely would have done a better job of advocating for his positions were he elected president instead of Biden (and thus moving the Overton window Left), but it's doubtful he would have had much more luck getting his legislative agenda passed had he entered office with the same hand as Biden.

Yeah, I doubt that Bernie would've gotten anything passed through Congress. I don't even think that he would've gotten the bipartisan infrastructure bill passed given how hyper partisan he is.