Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KatiesKarma

Should I try Effexor?

6 posts in this topic

So my psychiatrist gave me Effexor for my depression, after I told her that all sorts of SSRIs didn't really cut it for me.

So I was given Effexor, an SNRI, that can cause many side effects and I am rather sensetive. I really fear to go another

hellish round of Depersonalization episodes. ( i have it all the time but I really don't need to get worse)

I have personally prescribed Venlafaxine (=Effexor) dozens of times in the last years.
Not my go-to antidepressive, but definitely a good choice if SSRIs dont cut it. Tolerance is pretty high, I would say that around 10% get gastrointestinal issues - some men suffer from erectile dysfunction when actively medicated. Side effects disappear when you stop taking it of course. 

Look, there is only one to find out if its the right drug for you! :)
Let me motivate you by saying that I have witnessed "miracle healings" after psychiatric patients found the one drug that helped them to turn their life around. Maybe Effexor can do that for you - maybe not! Its not at all a dangerous drug per sé - might cause some discomfort in the worst of cases. If thats the case, than you always have the choice to get off it. 

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

its strange, I went through a strong 3y depression. never considered or taken any drug while it lasted (with the purpose of calming it down). isn't it just a temporary relief? I was depressed because of tangible & real reasons that existed in the real world, drugs would've calmed me down yes... but what's the point if the reason I'm depressed is still real? from my narrow stage orange/green perspective, taking drugs is pointless and unsustainable. I'm guessing depression is as old of a concept as the human mind, the human mind existed for thousands of years while (according to Google) medicine is only 200ish years old, So if Aristotle was depressed, he had to cure it without medicine which kills every claim trying to prove that someone actually needs medicine to fight depression.

just to moved to Frankfurt, right next to the Main river. Maybe take a jog instead of drugs, those gramps I see outside riding their bicycles seem pretty happy to me.

Edited by MarkKol

do you have a therapist besides a psychiatrist?

just be here, if you can do it this moment you can do it the next moment

this is the now, now is all that is real, the truth is now, not your concept or experience, just this

is there suffering in this ? work to be done young jedi. me

you should definitely not

don't touch these things

Edited by Windappreciator

An SNRI (Cymbalta; Effexor) + Remeron/mirtazepine can render intense sadness almost impossible. That combo has been called California Rocket Fuel lol. Remeron causes weight gain though. There's nothing wrong with sadness. Antidepressants alleviate the discontent associated with sub-optimal life situations and decrease the impetus to change, but if that isn't the primary concern then you'll have to assess what is right for you.