Illusory Self

Different meditation techniques & postures

9 posts in this topic

It just feels like there is no many different techniques for meditation from loads of different spiritual teachers, it can become overwhelming & puts me in a state of mind questioning if I am doing the right one. Currently just following the mind illuminated book & focusing on my breath for 1 hour. In terms of posture i just sit on a chair right now with my back against the rest as I find it uncomfortable otherwise. Going to probably alternate between that & lying down. I am not sure if that actually effects the insights you can get meditating as your body is not in natural alignment. I think burmese is optimal but recovering from injuries right now. 

Interested to know what other people on the forum do for meditation and how it has benefited them.

What technique has worked best for people?

Edited by Illusory Self

Different people have different mind complexes, goals, needs, etc, so there are numerous techniques to accommodate everyone.  It is difficult to know which technique to use, for how long, and to what intensity.  This is why a knowledgeable teacher is necessary to guide you along the way.

Another option is Sahaj Siddha Yog.  In this path everything arises spontaneously, to just the right degree.  Whatever is necessary for spiritual development will happen naturally, without any effort on your part.

All that is required is a desire to self-realize and a willingness to surrender everything to the Absolute.

This is what I’d call ‘Basic’ meditation. It’s pretty much what you describe. Two cents, if one isn’t able to sit with a straight spine, however one can sit or lie down will do, but if one can it is worthwhile. Inevitably the body starts emptying and any symmetry is ideal for this. Similar to body loads & releases in trips, and standing with arms out stretched, shoulders rolled back, palms open, etc. But in terms of cessation, the returning of attention to feeling breathing from the stomach is imo the way to go. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Would you suggest some type of meditation w/movement or yoga to a person with poor body awareness and/or prone to depersonalization?

@Nahm Ideally, I would like to sit with a straight spine. I would prefer to do do burmese position but right now I cannot due to knee injuries & a bad foot. Is it possible to do it while sitting on a chair, people say your hips have to be higher than your knees? 

When I was meditating on a chair attempting to sit up with a straight spine, I noticed my body continually slumping & I felt it was really uncomfortable as if I would constantly be having to adjust my spine back to straight which would distract me a lot from focusing on my breath. 

What is your best advice for trying to learn to sit with a straight spine? any good youtube videos or tutorials? I would ideally prefer to be in the most optimal alignment with my posture & have it feel comfortable. 

When I did it in the past however, it felt like I had to put mental concentration on constantly trying to have an upright spine. It would slump very often also.  which meant it was hard for me to focus on breathing. 

Should one ideally be sitting with that perfect alignment throughout the day also, what are your thoughts on sitting on a chair with a rest etc... I notice a lot that I slump during the day. 

Maybe I need to make more of conscious effort to sit upright. It just feels so uncomfortable & mentally draining. 

44 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

Ideally, I would like to sit with a straight spine. I would prefer to do do burmese position but right now I cannot due to knee injuries & a bad foot. Is it possible to do it while sitting on a chair, people say your hips have to be higher than your knees? 

Yes, totally.
No, impossible. 

(Why take someone’s word over checking direct experience?) 

When I was meditating on a chair attempting to sit up with a straight spine, I noticed my body continually slumping & I felt it was really uncomfortable as if I would constantly be having to adjust my spine back to straight which would distract me a lot from focusing on my breath. 

Aligned posture is not distractive, the body does it all on it’s own. The narrative of thought(s) is the distraction, given the traction is simply, gently, effortlessly, returning attention to feeling breathing from the stomach. 

What is your best advice for trying to learn to sit with a straight spine? any good youtube videos or tutorials? I would ideally prefer to be in the most optimal alignment with my posture & have it feel comfortable. 

To use an expression journal and write about the emotions you are experiencing, and be lovingly humbled with clarity in the willful recognition of aversion from spending some time doing so. To a large extent, allow the simple practical answer of ‘just sit up straight’ to suffice. Notice all else is aversion, and do not be judgemental of aversion, be insightful, by inspecting with more acuity what is actual, what you are actually experiencing. Notice self referential thoughts. Acknowledge meditation is the letting go of this habit, and acknowledge it is the habit which is the matrix. If any anger, blame, jealousy or hate arises, express it, don’t judge it. Express it at me if you want to, but try not to judge me / make it about me. 

48 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

When I did it in the past however, it felt like I had to put mental concentration on constantly trying to have an upright spine. It would slump very often also.  which meant it was hard for me to focus on breathing. 

So to speak, keep your eye on the bigger picture by recognizing aversion. Allow meditation to ‘wash yourself of yourself’, to free you from the matrix of the duality of thoughts. Order tissue by the case, ahead of time. Let go mentally, emotionally, and physiologically. 

50 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

Should one ideally be sitting with that perfect alignment throughout the day also, what are your thoughts on sitting on a chair with a rest etc... I notice a lot that I slump during the day. 

Meditation is the break from thoughts, the great relief. Truly, appreciate that one minute of meditation feels better than a lifetime of thinking about meditation, and gathering more thoughts about it. Also, be resourceful rather than resourcing resourcefulness. Let striving for perfection go.

When it is humbly acknowledge this striving is only the activity of thought, the orientation has changed toward the real perfection, which can not be thought regardless of any posture.

56 minutes ago, Illusory Self said:

Maybe I need to make more of conscious effort to sit upright. It just feels so uncomfortable & mentally draining. 

Rumination, self referential thinking and conceptualizing are exhausting. The thought narrative of a separate self which makes conscious efforts, is exhausting. 

Allow simplicity. Allow resourcefulness. Allow utilization of tools in directly using them, vs thinking about. 

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/basic-meditation-posture-balance-relaxation-body-scan

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/expressive-journaling

https://www.actualityofbeing.com/the-emotional-scale

This advice is likely not what you’re expecting. Neither is meditation. ?

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Illusory Self said:

@Nahm Ideally, I would like to sit with a straight spine. I would prefer to do do burmese position but right now I cannot due to knee injuries & a bad foot. Is it possible to do it while sitting on a chair, people say your hips have to be higher than your knees? 

When I did it in the past however, it felt like I had to put mental concentration on constantly trying to have an upright spine. It would slump very often also.  which meant it was hard for me to focus on breathing. 

have stuck with burmese position for 2 years, it gets easier and easier, thoroughly recommend it. i sit and do nothing for three hours, it flies by

Breath meditation is great as long as you’re not having too much trouble paying attention. I like fire kasina as a more interesting alternative if you’d like to try something new. Great book for learning fire kasina: https://firekasina.org/fire-kasina-book/

The most important thing with posture is a reasonable degree of comfort. If you can manage that while sitting up, it’s probably better than laying down, but I’ve done a lot of good sessions laying down too. 

Will trade insights and guidance from a decade of intense spiritual practice and study for insights into how to hang drywall efficiently. PM me. 

Regardless, I would learn floor sitting just because it can benefit you a lot, especially later on in life where the extra mobility matters. Old people are stiff because of how much time they spend in their chairs.