Raptorsin7

Are You A Pacifist

10 posts in this topic

Would you consider yourself a pacifist? Meaning, if there were a war or violent situations you would refuse to take part in any violent action. So if there was a war that you viewed as a just war you would still refuse to participate because you don't want to contribute to violence in anyway.

I guess you would expect a spiritual forum to have a higher % of pacifists, but I also suspect a lot of people have strongly held beliefs and would be willing to fight for them.

don't really know.

depends on the situation, the war and the reasons and if there's a way out.

have you read the bhagavad gita?

1 minute ago, PurpleTree said:

have you read the bhagavad gita?

No

12 minutes ago, Raptorsin7 said:

No

it's partly about that subject.

i recommend it :)

Pacifists still participate in all kinds of violence, i.e. buying unethical products, eating meat, eating plants, polluting the environment etc. Survival is a game of compromise. Absolutist ideologies don't hold up in a complex world.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

Pacifists still participate in all kinds of violence, i.e. buying unethical products. Absolutist ideologies don't hold up in a complex world.

I guess just limit the context to war and physical violence. 

1 minute ago, Raptorsin7 said:

I guess just limit the context to war and physical violence. 

You kinda caught a half-finished comment.

Pacifists still participate in all kinds of violence, i.e. buying unethical products, eating meat, eating plants, polluting the environment etc. Survival is a game of compromise. Absolutist ideologies don't hold up in a complex world.

If you care about survival, there are many cases where you will resort to physical violence and war. If you don't think so, you're just blinded by your own privilege. It's easy to be a pacifist while living in a Western democracy.

1 minute ago, Carl-Richard said:

You kinda caught a half-finished comment.

If you care about survival, there are many cases where you will resort to physical violence and war. If you don't think so, you're just blinded by your own privilege. It's easy to be a pacifist while living in a Western democracy.

many people just flee if they can

The question today is are you willing to be a vocal anti-war advocate and participate or build a movement around it in the type of culture that you are living against a political and economic class that holds power in the government that is constructing an ideology around and planning around taking a course in such an undertaking in the near future and in shaping the culture of the society that you are living in towards making waging a certain war against an 'other' acceptable, supportable or a societal norm.

In my case, if the war preparationists here in my government and society plan on participating and undertaking in the near future in a war and invasion against the Albanians in Kosovo, I am personally considering and planning around in fleeing to Canada, which's citizenship I have, with my tail between my legs rather than participating in the culture celebrating and supporting and obsessing over that repeated irredentist and revanchist madness.

Edited by Fleetinglife

''society is culpable in not providing free education for all and it must answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.” ― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables'

42 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

many people just flee if they can

They flee in the hopes that somebody else will deal with it. What if you have nowhere to flee? What if your people is getting ethnically cleansed? Some types of violence are worse than others, and some violence can only be addressed with violence. Pacifism pushes the problem under the rug and outsources it to someone who is not holier than thou and actually honest about their survival drives.