Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terell Kirby

Any good reason to sit Indian style while meditating?

6 posts in this topic

My legs used to cramp up during my hour long sessions. They have since adjusted to where it’s not as bad .. but what is the actual benefit of posture during meditation? Any negatives to not sitting Indian style?

Biggest negative to cross-legged sitting is ruining your knees as you age. Be careful with that. You want to keep your knees.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I try and find a posture that's a mixture of comfortable for the meditation period (tho mine are usually limited to 30 mins); and stable so I've got a straight spine and don't wobble. I find the Burmese position works for me, but there's been a lot of experimenting. I also have a lot of padding to sit on, my hips are higher than my knees. Plus a folded up blanket under that so my knees are on a soft surface. 

I don't see any problem with it. You have to be flexible for it. Indians are used to sitting that way with no problem to the knees. Because we're trained that way as kids. 

However you can't do it for too long. 

Also if it doesn't suit you, you should probably not do it. 

We're used to it as Indians so our bodies are adjusted to that and we don't face any problems even after long hours of sitting. 

In fact most Indians love to sit that way and find it extremely comfortable. 

But like I said you need flexible spine and body for that and Indians seem to have flexible bones 

Also plenty of Indians do yoga regularly and that makes them flexible. 

My friends sit Indian style for hours with no problem. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

41 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

My legs used to cramp up during my hour long sessions. They have since adjusted to where it’s not as bad .. but what is the actual benefit of posture during meditation? Any negatives to not sitting Indian style?

Try to combine some level of relaxation by using back pillows and 'loose cross legged' posture. You need some level of discomfort to get feedback on how high equanimity levels are.

That is why meditation is not usually taught lying down. That is the most 'comfortable' posture but it induces sleepiness and doesn't give enough feedback on your relationship to pain.

Veneer towards relaxation but maintain a cross legged posture. You'll know growth is occuring as you'll start to transcend leg pain. 

Unless you do full lotus, you won't damage your knees. Don't worry.

Much love,

Arda

Edited by ardacigin