Jacob Morres

What kind of therapists do you guys resonate with?

6 posts in this topic

I'm curious which types of therapists that you guys prefer. For me, it makes me uncomfortable if my therapist is a great conversationalist. Like those loud talkative mothers. I just feel I am too mellow for those types of people 

I've had a few and i didn't think any of them was particularly great

maybe it's my problem because i expect too much of them but it's hard to find a good one

one was extremely friendly but almost too nice, too mellow, very quiet voice

one was often sick and didn't come to sessions

one i had issues with, with the payment but also otherwise i wasn't really feeling his style

one was pretty good but i could only go to her for a like two months, it was only a temporary thing

one knew buddhist concepts and stuff, which was good but otherwise he didn't give me a lot, like a quiet zen guy

one just always said "ok yea, yes i understand that" that wasn't of no help, you go to school for (ionno 7?) yrs, to now just say "ok, yea, that makes sense" wasn't feeling it

i think most of them had their own mental issues tbh

now i haven't gone for about two yrs and don't miss it

i'd like to try jungian someday, or someone who's a bit tough-ish and points out my blind spots

@PurpleTree appreciate your response. Yeah I really relate. I always felt like for some reason or another the therapist was always lacking some efficacy or helpfulness somehow. 

My last therapist was an exception . She matched my energy well and really did her best to help me but she was not trained in my issue. I'm eternally grateful for her tho

Jungian sounds dope. I always thought a bit about it bcuz I've done a good amount of shadow work and my world view is based a bit in it 

But yeah thanks for sharing! Gained some insight and helped me feel my exp was normal 

36 minutes ago, Jacob Morres said:

@PurpleTree appreciate your response. Yeah I really relate. I always felt like for some reason or another the therapist was always lacking some efficacy or helpfulness somehow. 

My last therapist was an exception . She matched my energy well and really did her best to help me but she was not trained in my issue. I'm eternally grateful for her tho

Jungian sounds dope. I always thought a bit about it bcuz I've done a good amount of shadow work and my world view is based a bit in it 

But yeah thanks for sharing! Gained some insight and helped me feel my exp was normal 

some people find great therapists

for me whenever i needed a therapist, i didn't want to go on a long waiting list so i just went to whoever was free, and those are often not that great

i think i'll look for a new therapist soon-ish because i want to try some meds, for example racetams which are prescription meds here 

I normally opt for women of color or other Asian women so I don't have to spend too much time explaining what it's like growing up with immigrant parents and dealing with systemic issues. 

I usually look for someone who is action oriented and who has a more structured approach to therapy (i.e. having tasks to do between sessions, clearly defined goals, checking in at the end of the session to make sure things are going good etc.), lets me vent, and is reassuring/ supportive. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/