teraflu

Drop university seek passion if family is against?

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

I have been studying marketing and business in England for 1 year, I loved it, but quarantine started and I come back to my home country Lithuania. Took a break from studies, learned about marketing a lot in real life practice, tried bunch of jobs related to business or marketing, created several brands (just for trying and learning). Learned about investments, worked in bank. And as new semester started I (with family support) decided continue studies in Lithuania, because of all uncertainty due to pandemic didn't want to study in England at that time. And now 3 years of studies left ahead in new university. The problem is that I don’t really like it anymore, how the theory is presented. And it seems I have already learned enough of marketing for myself, I want to focus on job and developing myself in courses (such as hairdressing course). But my whole family would be against me dropping university again. Does a diploma really matter that much? I don’t even like the psychological environment here and everybody is younger than me. Their values are not same as mine. I am interested in psychosomatics, light working, hairdressing and creating my own business, creating my own space. Needed marketing to know how to present myself as a brand, but now feels like studies would not contribute to that much. Went to private university to purposefully make relationships with investors and business start-ups to learn more effectively. 

But I feel so unstable and bad as I quit my job due to studies. Parents allow and want me to stay jobless until I finish studies, but the support is small, just for poor living. But university feels like such a waste of time, because I want to start investing in real estate as soon as possible and saving with full-time job would be nice to me.

What questions I could ask myself to help make a decision?

What online university or online course alternatives are there?

How long will it take me to pay off 3 more years of university debt vs if I just become a hairdresser now but earn less, will I be ahead or behind?

Am I more likely to get a job or work for myself (only employers care about degrees, no customers will ask a business owner to see their qualifications unless it's a legally required certification like law or medicine.)

What courses will my university program include? What % of the content is actually related to what I want to do with my life? What % is filler elective courses I don't need, or outdated information about print/tv/radio marketing that I don't need? How much faster could I teach myself relevant skills without all the unnecessary courses?

How much do I need to start earning to prove to my parents that university isn't necessary to be successful? How can I leverage my existing knowledge creating brands to help companies with their marketing and start earning money today?

I remember jobs saying "i think you should get a job as a bus boy or something until you find something you're really passionate about"
I wouldn't recommend you quit anything you are doing right now in order to jump to something that isn't even there yet, you have to show your family results before they gain any type of trust in you, if you quit UNI right now, it sounds to me like that 'unstability' you feel will still be there for a different reason: your family

Now if you are able to get a job & a place to live that's not your parents' home, everything changes. I personally have never been a fan of Family that I'm just born with like my mom or dad, i don't like the man in the clouds choosing who i'm going to spend my first 18+ years of life with (he's quite unreliable).

You should figure it out yourself, if you can't get what you want independently, then I don't know what to tell you. truth be told nobody here is going to give you as good as advice you can give yourself, because people here speak generally and what you need my friend is a individual and specific to you type of advice that only you are cable of (you can tell because the replies to these type of threads always start with questions, like the guy above this reply, he doesn't know your situation as good as you do. You seem like a passionate young man so i'm sure you'll be alright.

I've never been to therapy because its so outlandish here in Europe but i would imagine paid professionals are better with dealing with these type of problems than unpaid forum pokemons like me.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:55 AM, teraflu said:

What questions I could ask myself to help make a decision?

Helps to determine what your end goal is. This requires you to be honest about what is important to you, at a very deep existential level.

That helps gain clarity, and clarity allows for you to make easier decisions about what to do with parents, university, business opportunities.

Sounds like a shameless plug, but the Actualized.org Life Purpose Course will do wonders for you here. Good luck.