Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adodd

Meditation: duration vs frequency

11 posts in this topic

When doing sitting meditation to increase baseline consciousness, is it more effective to do it for a longer time less often or a short time more often?

For instance, meditate for 20 minutes 3 times a day or meditate for an hour once a day.

It works differently for everyone, in my experience less pressure is where its at. 

Take the pressure off, I personally meditate at least 20 mins a day, less pressure to have to meditate for longer or go crazy, just 20 mins. 

Then, in this freedom I actually end up meditating more often in the day. 

When it comes to effectiveness, meditation is more of a quality over quantity thing.

From my experience, I think doing 20 minutes 3 times a day with the occasional longer sits every once in a while works the best. I really should follow this advice. I always try to sit for 1 hour but often put it off because I don't have quite enough time. 

Probably a mix of both, depending on what suits best for you + I'd recommend developing a 0.1 sec meditation all the time. This takes the meditation from the cushion to everyday life. Matter of fact, it ain't even 0.1 seconds.

@EmptyVase So a mindfulness practice? I agree and this is my long-term goal to be in a constant state of mindfulness. We'll see what happens though.

1 h in the morning before doing anything for me is the key. a whole hour because for me it is after 40 min when it is real meditation. then it is very easy to sit for 30 min at any time of the day, even in the street, and remain silent again. If I don't meditate in the morning, the day is very different, full of thought, of ego. 

@Adodd

I'd say that seeing that the source within you is already 'mindful'. There's sort of a 'background awareness', which actually isn't background, it's everything. This moment surely must be driven by something, and I'd say look no further than to yourself. You drive this moment. A mindfulness practice points to this already given state of being. :)

28 minutes ago, EmptyVase said:

@Adodd

I'd say that seeing that the source within you is already 'mindful'. There's sort of a 'background awareness', which actually isn't background, it's everything.already given state of being. :)

Wouldn't you say sitting meditation is very helpful to pointing to this awareness?

38 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

1 h in the morning before doing anything for me is the key. a whole hour because for me it is after 40 min when it is real meditation. then it is very easy to sit for 30 min at any time of the day, even in the street, and remain silent again. If I don't meditate in the morning, the day is very different, full of thought, of ego. 

Interesting. This makes sense. I am going to give this a try.

7 minutes ago, Adodd said:

Wouldn't you say sitting meditation is very helpful to pointing to this awareness?

Sure

Meditation to increase baseline consciousness is sort of a self fulling prophecy in the sense the practice is undermined before it is even experienced. I’d let expectations upon meditation go. I’d start with 20 minutes every morning. Then, from the direct experience, you’ll know. Never force it or push through, always express instead. With a few days or weeks of 20 minutes, you’ll likely have some expression to do, or the natural inclination to extend the duration. Frequency is king, duration can vary. There is ‘depth’ (ineffable) to longer sits as well, so I’d also look to experience anywhere from an hour to maybe six hours. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE