Tyler Durden

Breathing, drinking, eating, sleeping - illusion of survival?

27 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

But none of this things is happening inside my direct experience. I'm not aware of the processes inside my body. It can all by just a belief and not a true fact.

Sure, it could be. But try not sleeping for a month. You will discover quickly that whether you believe it or not, there are biological reasons for sleep. 

11 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

But none of this things is happening inside my direct experience. I'm not aware of the processes inside my body. It can all by just a belief and not a true fact.

It is all a belief that is a true fact haha. 

1 hour ago, OneHandClap said:

Sure, it could be. But try not sleeping for a month. You will discover quickly that whether you believe it or not, there are biological reasons for sleep. 

Are you sure we sleep at all even when we have an intention of doing that? Maybe we wake up the moment after we close our eyes and fall asleep. Time is an illusion anyway so it could be a possibility.

Edited by Tyler Durden

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Are you sure we sleep at all even when we have an intention of doing that? Maybe we wake up the moment after we close our eyes and fall asleep. Time is an illusion anyway so it could be a possibility.

You need to grasp that imagination is reality. There is no divide between the two. Biology might be imaginary, but that doesn't mean it's fairy dust and witchery. There are regimented systems that govern the behavior of the body. If this wasn't the case, Leo would not be advising people on things like heavy metal detox and diets. 

1 hour ago, OneHandClap said:

You need to grasp that imagination is reality. There is no divide between the two. Biology might be imaginary, but that doesn't mean it's fairy dust and witchery. There are regimented systems that govern the behavior of the body. If this wasn't the case, Leo would not be advising people on things like heavy metal detox and diets. 

If cells, molecules and atoms are not the building blocks of our body but instead that's conciousness, then entire biology loses its meaning. In that case we need a new explanation for the behaviour of the body.

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

If cells, molecules and atoms are not the building blocks of our body but instead that's conciousness, then entire biology loses its meaning. In that case we need a new explanation for the behaviour of the body.

I don't see how idealism (mind is all) would in any way indicate that biology loses meaning. Even if it is just "dream logic," it works. We have testable theories that work for us, and if we don't, we revise them. Just because something is constructed within consciousness doesn't mean it can't have a logical and consistent structure. Otherwise there would be no need for language, which is itself a concept. 

On 10/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, Tyler Durden said:

Biologicaly speaking breathing, drinking, eating and sleeping are crucial for our survival. Without any of them, we would die really soon. But having in mind that death is an illusion, does that make all of these things illusions as well? Do they only exist so this dream seems more realistic but without any use in keeping us alive?

Who said that death is an illusion? Do you know this for yourself? Personally, I don't (although I'm expecting it to be the case, as I've realized other facets of awakening like "everything is nothing," "no free will," and so on). I'd say that until you know personally that death is an illusion, you cannot have a satisfying answer to your question. 

In the relative sense, yeah: survival is important. I wasn't sure if "survival is bad because it's ultimately an illusion" was an implicit assumption you have based on your post. If it is, I'd drop it, as I used to carry it around myself and it stunted my development for a little while. What's so hard about this work is that many of the ideas that Leo and other gurus talk about are just too advanced to 'get' without proper experience. The mind will not understand the higher mind/spirit ideas without some semblance of mastery in the gross, material domain first.