Callum Milner

For Young People Should A Degree/ Day Job To Support Yourself Be Higher Priority Than Purpose Initially?

7 posts in this topic

Should I go to university, to get a degree and day job that supports me, or do you recommend jumping straight into starting a business to feed life purpose. I'm just worried about complacency, if I find a day job which I kinda like I may never pursue purpose, yet at the same time I don't want to be reckless and risk anything, what do people reccomend?

I am at the same point right now. In 6 months I will have to decide. I am cofused.

Surrender to the confusion, to the not-knowing, to uncertainty.

Learn to listen to your intuition. Visualize your future life.

But still be realistic. Strategize properly.

Take your time and consider all of this carefully.

You are the best person to answer that question. I got into my purpose(at the time) in middle-school and at 17 I could rent a nice apartment. How much risk are you comfortable with? I'm for(myself) diving in head first and hoping I figure it out, if nothing else you learn what doesn't work.

It doesn't have to be completely one or the other. If you get a "regular" job I'd suggest something in the field your purpose is, so you can learn tricks of the trade from people who already have a similar, successful, business.

It would be great if the courses that you're taking and the day job that you're doing are matching your life purpose. If you haven't found your life purpose, try to match the courses and day job with your best/deepest interests. Interests are things you love to do. You are passionate about it so much that you try to find a way to put it in the market.

If you can't exactly match them to your interests, find something similar. In the meantime, keep pursuing and trying to discover / uncover your life purpose. Don't give up on that.

Edited by Key Elements

@Callum Milner You should definitely think strategically about your decision. 

I have known people who finish school up until year 10 with no degree and they have started businesses and been successful because they worked really hard and were smart enough to have a plan before making such a big decision. Sometimes things don't go according to plan but at least you have a blue print of how you would like things to be if you don't go to college. 

However personally for me, I think education is so important. Not only to look good on paper and find a secure job but knowledge is power, the more you know and learn the more you will grow as a person and it looks really good when people want to do business with you. They will think ' this person id education and knows a lot,' and they will build trust in you. 

Although people with little educational back round and who have built up their clients, marketing, social media can be just as successful. I know a girl who didn't finish school and she started an etsy stationary business, she does this as her full time job and makes a living and is doing great with her business, she puts herself on youtube and comes up with creative ideas for people and this is one way she gets a lot of her clients because people trust she knows what she is doing because we can see her do it through video. 

You need to decide on what is really best for you and what you want, because at the end of the day, its your decision.

On 15/12/2016 at 8:30 PM, Callum Milner said:

Should I go to university, to get a degree and day job that supports me, or do you recommend jumping straight into starting a business to feed life purpose. I'm just worried about complacency, if I find a day job which I kinda like I may never pursue purpose, yet at the same time I don't want to be reckless and risk anything, what do people reccomend?

make your day job your purpose.

I go to university, and I also run a startup. I spend 30 hours a week on studying, and round 32 hours a week on my startup. 

In society we have this belief that we can't be a full time student, and a full time worker, this is utterly false. I'm proof of it alone, and so are many others out there. 

In Sweden they only work 6 hours a week, and it was proven scientifically that its actually more productive because you aren't burning yourself out. The trick to running your business while studying, is to spend the first 6 hours of your day working on your business, and the other 6 on studying. Because the first 6 hours of your day you feel refreshed.

I wake up at 3am every morning to accomplish this.

This isn't being complacent, and this isn't wreckless. 

I strongly suggest you do this, you only have 1 opportunity to build your foundation.