28 cm unbuffed

Copyrights on YouTube

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys! 

I am currently trying to build my YouTube channel and here's what I found interesting: 

In this video, Sneako uses music from authors like f.e. Kanye West which are super popular and viral and I doubt, that he has any copyrights to use this song, YET this video was not restricted or blocked by any means. I looked for information that describes how to handle copyright issue correctly, but I didn't find anything that can explain that problem clearly

If any of you have any experience and information about this case, I would be really thankful for any information.

Best! :x

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

You can send emails to the owners of the music to ask for permission.

But, really I would use websites like Epidemic Sound

I do most of my videos with my phone an edit using the app Videoleap which has a big library of free music which I use. 

I generally just avoid using anything I don't have rights to

these services make it easy.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Yeah, I also think about using Epidemic Sounds or some other paid service in a future, but for now I am trying to use anything free.

I am just really surprised that he used (in the beginning) Rose in Harlem song which is obviously breaking copyrights laws and still - he was not banned or anything and this video is still up. 

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

Who knows

He probably pays for it

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Here's what I found out: 

1. You can use this kind of music but first - it will not be monetized and second - money from monetization goes to the artist as he decided to make it public.
  2. I know for sure that you can use pretty much ANYTHING if you are using it as an example, parody or a quote - mainly for describing, teaching and reviewing purposes.

Also, information from other forum:

I'm not a lawyer, but I have a guess: Perhaps the difference is that the videos are not directly commercial, meaning, they aren't selling anything. If they try to sell their $999 coaching course and use copyrighted materials, they definitely would get flagged as it would be an unlicensed use and infringement.

What happens in practice is that Kanye West's agency will immediately claim a copyright strike and Youtube will keep your video up but all the profits will funnel straight to Kanye West.

This is not a viable strategy for running a serious channel. Only use royalty-free music which you have bought rights to.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Copyright violations for a Youtuber are no little thing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Copyright violations for a Youtuber are no little thing.

worst-case scenario 

The video will get restricted worldwide 

or  gets muted