umiedotre9

Where does your Anxiety present itself?

7 posts in this topic

For me it used to be my stomach but it shifted to tension in my jaw, if I've had a 'successful' (see positive anxiety reducing results) meditation this tension dissapears but it doesn't last. I catch myself thinking "oh my jaw isn't tense, what's wrong?" And then the tension returns! What are your experiences with anxiety and how it presents itself physiologically?

It's probably similar for most. Interestingly, it can apparently be dealt with...

Perhaps try turning up the intensity of the anxiety on purpose in a very direct sensorial meditative sense -- you might fail and the opposite may happen, which is of course "success." Of course there's no you to do that anyway, so it's just a technique in the experiential realm, but hey... why not? ;)

There's nothing wrong with anxiety though, nor the practice of a technique which alleviates it. But the focus, I'd suggest, could be on the emptiness and insubstantiality of the anxiety in the fading of it through simple technique, rather than merely the gratification and empowerment in the intentional quelling of anxiety.

Edited by The0Self

Physical: Stomach, arms, jaw, shoulders, serious facial expression, hard to laugh.

Mental: Fatalistic doomy racing thoughts, hard to focus on fun things. 

Consciousness: The world takes on a eerie vibe, everything feels kind of wrong and off...

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Stomach, chest, heart area. It's basically a fight or flight response.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

For me I notice it in my chest and I become more conscious of my heart rhythm.