Kenn254

How do you deal with perfectionism?

4 posts in this topic

As a perfectionist, it's really hard to stop. It's constantly criticizing myself or constantly trying to find ways to improve.

One day I was tired of constantly feeling so unfulfilled, so I started thinking about the positives about being a perfectionist.

-I'm great at doing things methodically and thoroughly -I know what I want out of life and I constantly set goals for myself -I am always curious and constantly looking for new areas to explore -I don't dwell on mistakes

But then, on the other hand, there are all the negatives of being a perfectionist. Without this personality trait, I would have never felt so limited, never felt like I wasn't good enough, never felt like my choices were constrained. My life would be much more relaxed, but my life is also much more fulfilling because of it.

I am curious to know how other people deal with perfectionism.

I think extreme perfectionism unwinds naturally and gradually the more we love our avatar just as it is. Unlearning anxious habits from school days related to so many tests and exams. Noticing in the moment who or what is it that I'm trying to be perfect for right now. Or even seeing my perfectionism as being okay too. Is it even a problem if I stop labelling it as such.

Recognize that perfectionism is imperfect. True perfection is a delicate balance between high-quality work and some imperfections.

You may have some traumas that are making you being a perfectionist, maybe something related to your parents or other persons in your life. You also probably feel some anxiety, fear, and/or sense of competition while working: inspect that, understand where it comes from, and heal that. Also, as you feel unfilled notice that you are far from being a perfectionist as your perfectionism is creating an unperfect unhappy life. You may need a better balance with more empty time to relax and random things.

I have been a perfectionist in the past. I felt very egoistical when I was in this mindset and therefore attracted criticism from others because of my over-attention to details. Then I switched to the opposite side and did poor quality work that didn't help me. I'm now getting to a better and better balance.

Perfectionism is based on a lie. It is the false belief that the human form has the capacity for flawlessness, in a phenomenal world that is constantly changing. In the dream, where dualities are inevitable, perfection is impossible to achieve.

The Self hidden within, which is the dreamer, is already perfect. Your purpose is not to find perfection within the dream, but to realize the perfection of your ultimate nature. When you do, the drive for external perfection will dissolve.

Instead, you will see lucidly, even with the dream. Life will lose its seriousness, and creativity and joy will naturally flow.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.