Greengrass

So Much Fear Right Now

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

I feel really scared. I just finished a meditation session, and I was deep in it, and during that meditation session, I felt little mild ‘zaps’ of energy in my hand and my body, I felt like vomiting and I felt a headache. I’m still feeling like this. I have a few mirrors in my room, and soon as I got up and saw my reflection, I felt scared. My head and body ‘vibrating’, I’m not sure of how to exactly describe it. I feel very ‘out of my head’, like I am not me, I look in the mirror and it’s not me. I feel like something bad is going to happen to my body. 

is this normal ? Any words of comfort would be great, I’m just feeling very fearful. 

All is well - I'd say. You're just becoming familiar with 'the other side'. Soon, there will be no more sides. Just you.

That 'vibration' you mentioned... I'd follow it. Explore it.

Be not afraid to feel.

Hey bud.

Just to get a better idea of what's going on, have you taken any drugs/substances recently?

@Greengrass Yes I get that too. Once the fear goes away, the weird feeling of not being in your head goes away, and there's only a calm feeling left.

If you have pain, or feel like you're going to pass out, don't stay alone, call someone and if it gets crazy, call an ambulance.

When I have glimpses, I also always tell myself I've had a stroke or that this is not possible, or that someone roofied me because I feel differentl.

I recommend you don't stay alone though in case something happens, better to be safe then sorry, and I am not a doctor so who knows. Also talking to a friend would calm you down.

7 minutes ago, Endangered-EGO said:

I recommend you don't stay alone though in case something happens, better to be safe then sorry, and I am not a doctor so who knows. Also talking to a friend would calm you down.

I agree with this! Talking to someone close to you or someone you can trust - whether in person, over the phone, or online can be really healing. Just be genuine and honest with telling them how you feel.

Also feel free to check out this free text line (depending where you live), which operates 24/7. Wait times may be long. From my multiple experiences interacting with the crisis counselors, though, they have been helpful.

https://www.crisistextline.org

@Endangered-EGO @JayySur

Thank you  for that, I am feeling much better now, the physical side effects have worn off it seems, and I feel a bit more clarity. 
I might take a few days off meditation to recover and take in this experience.

@Greengrass glad to hear! Thank you for opening up with your experience with us. It’s also wise that you aren’t pushing yourself farther than you can handle at this time. It doesn’t make you a failure. 

Maybe try paying attention to the body sensations and letting them go wherever they want to go.  Maybe even try consciously trying to control them and move them throughout the body.  

Not trying to control experience seems to be a general piece of advice that is well applied in most situations.

You can also try some grounding and/or body exercises:

• Feet shoulder width apart --> as you move your hands up, you slightly rise with them, as your hands move down you slightly lower your body down and like "push" your body down into the ground (you can even imagine pushing all your thoughts down into the earth).  
  • Just do "normal" things: visit friends, eat some good food, go into nature, do fun things.
  • Stop doing meditation or spiritual exercises and contemplation for a while (days, weeks, maybe even months if you feel necessary.  W/e you feel is right).
  • Body awareness:  experiment with focusing on different areas of your body to see which area feels the best.  I'd recommend your feet, legs, or back if you're feeling ungrounded.  Anywhere that feels safe and relaxed and good.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins