Annoynymous

Best Resources for Learning French?

7 posts in this topic

I want to excel at all the four component - Listening, Speaking, Reading & Writing. Please advice me how I can do that.

Use Youtube. This podcast is pretty high quality for example:

Tu peux également discuter avec des gens en Français sur internet ;)

I haven't actually watched the video yet, I just saw the thumbnail the other day and when I saw your post I remembered. This guy always uploads superb content. All his videos are extremely well researched, and you'll probably be able tu pull some articles or if you're lucky a book from the video. Hopefully you finde some aid. Ill def watch it after this. 

I'll tell you how I learned it for 6 years and still maintain it after 4 years of not practicing: 

1. Speak to yourself every day in French. Don't talk about trivial things either, have deeper conversations with yourself. It forces you to search for new vocabulary and see that your ideas appear in your head without any particular language assigned to them. Speaking is the most important part, second is listening, third is reading, fourth is writing.

2. Master key: if you don't know how to say a word while you're speaking, use the vocabulary you know to say it in a different way. Then write down in English what the word is and look it up later. Don't concern yourself with nouns so much as verbs and their conjugations, adverbs, and sentence structure.

3. Conjugation is King. Write down your verb conjugations every day, speaking as you write. Trust me, if you speak while you write you will learn so much faster.

4. Learn like a baby learns its first language. Your mind doesn't learn a language from putting nouns together, it learns from mimicking sentence structure. This is why listening to the radio (TV5 is great) is so important, even if you don't know what they're saying, your mind picks up on the sentence structure musically, then gradually makes distinctions between words.

5. Think in French, not english! Avoid the extra step of translating. This will take practice but once you can do it you learn so much faster.

Edited by SonataAllegro