Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Costa7

Beletristic Books Vs Personal Development Books

8 posts in this topic

I have a question. I knew and I was sure that from self-development books I can get the best benefits. And, I was with a friend at the library. I was there with a guy which helped me a lot in my actualization work. I found a book from Leo's list, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". And, I wanted this book badly. But, this friend that was with me told me that I just waste my money on these types of books, that they tell me exactly how and what to do to be successful, and these "tips" from the book is so general, that I won't get any help from that book, so, I should instead buy a beletristic book.  I asked him why and he told me that I learn more stuff from beletristic books than self development books, and that's because, in the beletristic book, a story is being presented, and if someone from that story has some problem, I can figure it out for myself how I would fix that, and then read how actually this caracthere from the story of the book did it, and so I learn more stuff, and even better, because I am using my mind, and not just applying "general advices". From Leo's videos, I knew that self development books were the best for self actualization, but this friend of mine told me this thing about the books. I thought about it, but I didn't know what to do. (I've bought the book anyway)

So,  the question is:

•Which books are better and why? For self actualization (Beletristic or self development books?) 

•How does this work? Don't I really learn more from the story? Or is better with the "tips"? Aren't the "tips" general? 

Sorry for my grammar, English is not my 1st language.

Edited by Costa7

@Costa7 Every book serves a specific purpose. 
Self-help books are good for mastering certain areas of life.
History books are great if you wanna gain some history knowledge.
Fictional books are great if you find the artistic side and imagination side of literature fascinating.
Books about meditation help you understand and develop yourself in meditation.

Use books for the purposes you need. It's kinda nobrainer =D. 

now beletry vs self-help? Read biographies, combines both. :-)

Edited by Martin123

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

@Costa7

49 minutes ago, Martin123 said:

@Costa7now beletry vs self-help? Read biographies, combines both. :-)

What do you wanna get out of them? 

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

Self- Development. Just because someone says they're bad or a waste of money doesn't mean they are. 

If someone says you're a cat doesn't mean you become a cat. xD

You don't need the approval of others in order to do what's correct, just figure it out by yourself. Which is what you can do by using your intuition aka your gut feeling, rather than seemingly being pressured to buy Beletristic books. Just buy which is seems of more value TO YOU! Not to others.

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

Why not both?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I find fiction books hard to read.  I get so immersed in the story that my mind shuts off and i end up daydreaming.  I usually forget what i read and have to reread several times. This frustrates me, so i avoid fiction.  I dont have this problem with nonfiction or self help books.  It all comes down to personal preference. Also, you are not obligated to finish a book.  If it turns out to be terrible, stop reading.  You have time to find the right book, and there are billions to choose from.  Pick up a book and enjoy, don't over think it.  "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius is my favorite.