Someone here

Law of attraction

10 posts in this topic

I do believe that the idea of the law of attraction, as described by Esther and Jeremy Hicks, and a number of other writers, is useful.This view is that what becomes manifest in the outer circumstances in our lives is dependent upon our thoughts in a causal way. It involves the argument that negative and positive thinking affect us to the point where we draw specific events to take place in our lives. I have found this idea makes sense for me and I know that my own mindset seems to affect what really happens in my own life, and that gratefulness in itself seems to lead towards a more positive flow rather moaning all the time. Sometimes, people have argued that the law of attraction doesn't always work, because we don't always get what we seek, in spite of our our strong wishes, but advocates of the idea suggest that this is probably linked to discrepancies between our conscious and subconscious desires.

I have been wondering how this relates to philosophy recently. It seems to be based on a view that causality is linked to states of mind somehow. Of course, on a basic level, our thinking is a pathway to bringing forth the actions necessary for events to occur. However, I think that the theory is stating a little more, with intentionality being the key factor. Also, it has connection with the issue of chance in life, and is life a series of mere random events? I am not convinced that there are any chances or coincidences in life, although I realise that perception of does involve our own perception and construction of meanings in life experiences. What do you think?

I am raising this discussion with a view to exploring the causal role of thinking and intentionality. To what extent do we have the power to change and determine our own destinies as creative agents, or are we bound to random events and our material circumstances as aspects beyond our conscious control?

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

42 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Love always gets what it wants. Always.

1qytjm.jpg

14 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@The0Self

Can't BS me :P

Well it is bullshit. Any time someone tells you something it is bullshit. Even now.

But really on a very practical level, the universe (let's call it) always gets what it wants. Even when what it wants, is to pretend it can't get what it wants ;)

5 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

1qytjm.jpg

Oh how sweet! Y'all are so literal. Nothing always gets nothing -- means the exact same thing. That work for ya? :)

xD

-Osho

It's not quantifiable. You know by being aware of how circumstances play out for you and loving it.

My thoughts on the matter:

14 hours ago, Someone here said:

Sometimes, people have argued that the law of attraction doesn't always work, because we don't always get what we seek, in spite of our our strong wishes, but advocates of the idea suggest that this is probably linked to discrepancies between our conscious and subconscious desires.

Well two things come up here for me. One is that people may want all their desires to manifest instantly, where that is not how it goes and may not be what you would actually want. It comes at the appropriate moment. The other point is that if you hold a negative thought about something you would like, you block it or slow it down from appearing/manifesting (to a degree)

14 hours ago, Someone here said:

I am raising this discussion with a view to exploring the causal role of thinking and intentionality. To what extent do we have the power to change and determine our own destinies as creative agents, or are we bound to random events and our material circumstances as aspects beyond our conscious control?

Well, how I understand it is you are (pretty much) experiencing the reflections of your energies and beliefs, so in that way you are not dealing with things beyond your conscious control. What I've heard from Bashar is that there are themes you set out to explore in this life, but that how you do that, is up to you. I think he explained it like you will walk down a certain hall, but how you do that, is up to you. Something I also remember is that the things you are struggling with now, are things you intended to explore.
As I understand it what comes your path is also orchistrated by your soul/higher mind, it guides you by giving you things that are attracting/exciting to follow and attempts to guide you in that way towards the path of least resistance to all you really want.

Thinking may form habits, habits of future thinking and habits of the mode of perceiving and habits of intuitions. Thus thinking may have an impact on general experience of life, on feelings and moods and life energy. This then may influence what happens to oneself in life but I do not believe in "law of attraction" or determinism to be the true basis of what happens.

-Osho