preventingdiabetes

Why not just play video games all day?

85 posts in this topic

You do what you want, but anyway you have to work to have a house, food, games etc.
And you'll probably want to do something else anyway.

It's not a question of virtue, but of pragmatism, otherwise you do what you want with your life. :)

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

On 31/08/2021 at 0:17 AM, Leo Gura said:

Why not jerk off all day with a heroin IV while floating in a bathtub of liquid chocolate?

you gave me a good idea :):):)

If you dont understand, you're not twisted enough.

My best answer (as I recently take a step back from trying to be a hero, and reconsider gaming) is to do You.

Now the thing is, you don't  want to play video games as a way of being stuck in escapism, and over-indulge to the point you can't stop playing games to being an addiction... What you want , is the freedom to do what you want and if you want to play games, then go for it... But you want to maintain that freedom to do what you want so if games aren't what you really want to do, you aren't stuck coping , addicted to games. So if you want to go try surfing on the ocean waves, you have the freedom to do what you want and you can go do that and aren't stuck in the addictive pattern of playing games. (Which would require have money, which means you still gotta pursue doing something that gives value to the world in exchange for money)  

So like me, instead of wanting to save the world and doing it as charity and life purpose, now I'm looking at that freedom to do what I want so I'm more like "okay let's charge money for saving the world to fund my freedom to travel, freedom to play games, etc"

It's important to note the difference between addiction/coping/escapism/stuck vs I really want to game and not fuck a girl, not go traveling, not do anything else BUT play this video game cuz I fuckin WANT to play it so bad.

Make sure you aren't playing games in a way where you end up hating it but can't let go of it, and it becomes a prison. 

Play games as a CHOICE where you DONT WANT anything else. Remember it's important to maintain the FREEDOM OF CHOICE 

Also remember, the future of video games is gonna be 10000x better than anything today. Don't be 'Living to Die', but be 'Dying to Live'

Edited by KoryKat

As long as that's what you want to do. Sometimes I get desire of video games and  I play for 3 days straight. 

@preventingdiabetes The topic question comes from a place of seeking comfort, not necessarily passion or inherent interest. The question is; why do you do what you do at all? What makes you feel incentivized to do or be anything in life?

Either way, you'll be living in a place of endless comfort by means of living in a fantasy (the video game). You have to ask yourself if that's what you want. You'll have to ask yourself if that provides you with true fulfillment. 

From my perspective, having played video games non-stop for years on end in the past, I came to realize that I was using video games as a means of escaping my real-world struggles in life. Many struggles that I have now surpassed having left video games to the side; now making me more fulfilled than I was before. I came to realize that I was addicted to video games in many ways, as it provided me with a comfort I didn't know how to get otherwise. Overall, I think anything is healthy in moderation or if it is balanced well with everything else in your life, though often times that isn't the case; especially with video games; & especially seemingly in your case; as you are seeking to know why you should do anything other than play video games for the majority of the time. With any area of pursued extremism, there will be other areas that stagnate for your growth. The question is; are the benefits greater than the losses if you were to pursue playing video games? What are your guarantees that you will continually grow? Do you want to continually grow in this field? Or are you simply seeking the comfort from attaching to something you know will be practically easy? I suspect that you don't truly want to play video games all the time, but only you can know that. I'm just a spectator. Good luck :)

Edited by Zion