Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anthony

How Long Does It Take To Get The Benefits Of Meditation ?

12 posts in this topic

I have been meditating consistently for over a month now and I still don't feel any different , how long did it take for you guys to start getting the benefits of meditation ?

Everyone is different. Some experience benefits right away and others don't notice them for some time. It's not uncommon for others to notice the change in you before you notice yourself. Do you keep a journal? Keep practicing without expectation and you will see change. It will be worth it. 

I would liken it to learning, which can vary for different people based on subject matter or where they are starting off. When it comes to meditation, different people will generally struggle with different challenges. Depending on what your challenges are, it may take you a longer or shorter period of time to get somewhere noticeable. It's important to note, that just because you are not yet aware of the benefits of your practice it does not mean they aren't happening. Each time you put your attention towards it and dedicate time to it...you are progressing even if you don't notice it yet...

Edited by Jay S

@Jay S you beat me to the punch. I was going to liken the progress and benefits seen in meditation to that of learning to play the piano.  Everyone is going to move at their own pace, but no one is going to be playing Rachmaninoff at the end of the first week.  It will be more like better and worse versions of chopsticks.  The initial benefits of meditating or learning piano do seem to be subtle, but at some point you realize there has been a profound shift, almost without your noticing it. 

If you have had the experience of sitting in meditation and it literally feels like your thoughts are a runaway train that you have no control over, you are on the right track.  The very acknowledgement that this is the nature of the mind and you aren't controlling it is huge.  

It took a week until I noticed the first changes. What happened was that I stopped biting my fingernails w/o noticing. I did this for roughly 13-14 years without being able or even wanting to stop it. It just happened. However, I journalled and still journal about all these experiences and I look for very subtle changes.

2 months in I stopped smoking w/o consciously wanting it. I just got up one day and had the realization that I can't do this any more. And I smoked 15-20 strong cigarettes a day and loved every part of it.

3-4 months in I noticed my concentration and relaxation levels increase and that my level of neurosis lowers. From then on a lot deeper changes happened, I also increased the sitting time, took extra sittings in the evening and practiced very hard to get the shit out of my system (basically a lot of strong determination sitting).

Don't worry if you can identify no changes until now. Just go on and they will come when they will. I was pretty fucked up when I started, so a lot got out very soon. Maybe you don't have as much shit in your system as I had, so it'll take some time. :P Just speculating here.

Keep it up, man!

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Hi thank you for supporting I have started too and I will continue without thinking of when and what will get the result. Only I try to enjoy it. Do not think on the end of the road. Just keep on doing. I am reading Mastery suggested by Leo,It helps a lot how not to give up and how to go on. 

The question to ask your self is what were you expecting?

Meditation doesn't necessarily give you what you want.... it's not a magic elixer.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

Hi All,

How long does it take for you to get the benefits of meditation ? And what effect has it had on you longer term as i am considering stopping.

31 minutes ago, rush said:

... to get the benefits of meditation ?

@rush  Looking for benefits in this case won't work. 

The spiritual journey is not for benefits but for liberation from the need to even consider such a thing as getting benefits.

If you feel that you need to see benefits then perhaps you are not ready for this sort  of journey.

Also, if what you are doing does not work for you then perhaps your approach to it or your understanding of it is not completely clear to you.   There are many different approaches to Meditation besides formal sitting meditation.   You could explore those in the vein of Mindfulness meditation, for example.  Even looking at the wonder and beauty of every moment and every sight before your eyes can be a living, ongoing meditation.  What are you looking for in life?  Then ask yourself why?  Who is asking?  No actual verbal/mental answers are required.  In fact. such answers are proof of egoic justification.  It can be tricky.  But also very intriguing.

Just watching the thoughts that cross your field of attention during conversations or while sitting watching a movie or while eating breakfast - just watching the thoughts and feelings - not judging them - not having opinions or comments about them - just WATCHING thought can be a great meditation.   But, do not expect anything from that.  NOTHING AT ALL. Just BE that at the moment of doing that. 

If this does not seem to be your cup of tea then fine.  No problem.  It is not a universal rule that everyone should meditate or go on a spiritual journey.  You will know what is right for you.   Just look at it honestly.  No rational thinking please.   Just heart!  No logic necessary.

joy :)

Edited by walt

I have been meditating for exactly 77 days (everyday), and I see just a slip of benefit for my mind to relax and concentrate on the present moment. In my experience, I think its better to just accept what it brings you right NOW instead of worrying what it can do to you years to the future. 

If you are meditating for any reason other than to be present, you are not really meditating.

On a less anal note I have been meditating consistently for ~8 Months and am only now starting to feel perceivable differences in my general state of mind. I personally meditate as I have had a racing mind (mostly nonsense) that I could never quiet for as long as I can remember, Its taken me this long to even start breaking the habit consistently and may be years before I have reached the tranquil state I desire.

Imo if you are serious about actualisation you should be meditating till the day you die irrelevant to if you are getting what you wanted out of it:)

Edited by Atmos

Hi Anthony, if you really want to feel different immediately doing meditation then I suggest watching Jean Claude van damm in blood sport. He will show you how to meditate properly, grab two chairs jump into the box splits between them then just focus that mind, trying not to think about your genitals ripping apart lol. Pretty impressive though if you have the balls to do it.

But on a serious note what technique are you using? Try out different ones, see what fits you best. Keep up the good work bud. Rome wasn't built in a day.