Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SQAAD

I Don't Understand Nihilism and Meaninglessness

5 posts in this topic

I don't understand why some people get caught up in the ''meaningless'' of life. I have been through a phase of nihilism myself when i was younger but it didn't last a while.

Why would i need some sort of Absolute meaning? To me life is inherently meaningful without the need to construct any meaning whatsoever. Not the other way around. I can wake up in the morning with the hope of living well another day. I don't need much more than that to keep on living.

And What is the problem of constructing your own meanings? Why the need of some absolute meaning making figure? I don't get it.

If we are to say that life is meaningless then please tell me how life would it be if it was actually meaningful? I want to know the contrast.

Edited by SQAAD

@SQAAD

Not a problem with constructing your own meaning, in fact that is what everyone is already doing. The thing is when you confuse meaning with the suchness of a thing. Then you get lost in your interpirations. 

A disharmony between what is so, and your worldview.

There is no inherent meaning in a thing, a thing just is. Its thingness is so before labeling it as being a certain way. There is no need for meaning to be created in the first place.

To be in harmony with the universe you want to deconstruct all meaning and just be in the suchness of reality, in the suchness of existences itself. Bask in the Truth, not adding any concepts/ meaning onto it, you move with the Truth as the Truth.

Reality isn't meaningless or meaningful, it just is. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

One finds true meaning in life after realizing that it is meaningless.

If life is meaningless, that means you get the glorious opportunity of defining your own meaning.

Now how awesome is that? ;)

12 minutes ago, OctagonOctopus said:

@SQAAD

Not a problem with constructing your own meaning, in fact that is what everyone is already doing. The thing is when you confuse meaning with the suchness of a thing. Then you get lost in your interpirations. 

A disharmony between what is so, and your worldview.

There is no inherent meaning in a thing, a thing just is. Its thingness is so before labeling it as being a certain way. There is no need for meaning to be created in the first place.

To be in harmony with the universe you want to deconstruct all meaning and just be in the suchness of reality, in the suchness of existences itself. Bask in the Truth, not adding any concepts/ meaning onto it, you move with the Truth as the Truth.

Reality isn't meaningless or meaningful, it just is. 

I second this.

Basically, once you reach nihilism you begin to take control of how to construct meaning. I think a big part of what I learn from Zen is what Octo said above. 

However, that being said. People attach meanings to everything and no one here if fully free from meaning making because we use it for survival and social cohesion. But, we can work toward liberation the more we unleash ourselves from the mental prisons we create.

I'd like to add the concept of transference and projection here as well. Many of our meanings lay beneath the surface of our conscious mind and can be very archetypal.

The map isn't the territory as they say 

Any meaning that does exist, you created because you are God.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"