asifarahim

Best explanation of addiction i ever heard

8 posts in this topic

Good video.  Thanks for sharing.  Here's an excellent video about addiction you may also enjoy.

@asifarahim  thank you - it`s a really good explanation. for me it helps me to realize once again how ego is such a huge model, even in development, a theory which can not really be separated from somatic conditionings. it´s funny how he explains scientific behavior with the same underlying mechanism he explains addiction with. it leads towards systems thinking.

the problem though with researching addiction in an introspective manner, what he asks of psychologists/medical practitioners would mean to get an addiction first, which would be counterintuitive, if we wouldn`t already have many. although one addiction/ego is not comparable to the next. i guess that`s why self actualization often leads towards awareness of some sort of suffering. it´s often a misconception about what part of selfdevelopment to really focus on.

"... severely traumatized as children". 

I always think how nice it would be if having children were limited to a certain group of people who were well educated in 'how to raise a kid'. Not everybody deserve to be a parent.

On 9/1/2021 at 4:20 PM, Elham said:

"... severely traumatized as children". 

I always think how nice it would be if having children were limited to a certain group of people who were well educated in 'how to raise a kid'. Not everybody deserve to be a parent.

would be much better to send parents to school. or do sth like obligatory parental therapy ;) but it‘s not always the parent who traumatizes children (so many examples war, peer group, church, other family and family friends, death or illnesses of loved ones, neglect) and there are traumatized children of „well“ educated parents as well. so difficult to generalize that.  although how nice would it be to send parents to school or therapy instead of children? 

Edited by mememe

3 hours ago, mememe said:

(so many examples war, peer group, church, other family and family friends, death or illnesses of loved ones)

True but still I believe if parents are aware enough, they can prevent or even solve such traumas

21 hours ago, Elham said:

True but still I believe if parents are aware enough, they can prevent or even solve such traumas

traumas often are connected to acute traumatic events - people change, stuff happens, prevention is difficult if a parent doesn’t want to be neurotic or even comes from a home or cultural past which was maybe rougher than what we live through today, but in sense of morals and technology also different. probably with a really good support, it might be easier for parents today to resolve traumas, as information and discourse about psychology is much more available than it was during the last centuries. i think much more people are emotionally receptive/sensitive to parenting demands today than they were in the last centuries. but yeah its probably possible to not traumatize a child depending on the circumstances, although a preventive divorce can also be traumatizing for example, if one partner is abusive in tendencies. so its really really difficult to give a straight forward yes (to a childhood utopia, whilst talking about shadow dynamics).

Edited by mememe