Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
traveller

Starting a coaching business experience paradox

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,l would like to hear your perspective on something l'm trying to deal with.  

I want to go and start a coaching course and start to build a business on coaching. But when I search the marketplace there is lots of coach who had good cv. they used to work in big companies as manager and that kind of jobs. I don't have a bright background about career. only for a short period I worked as a coordinator at a small company.. but mostly  I  used to work at restaurants as waiter, I delivered brochüres, I worked parttime at small shops, and finally I was a receptionist at a hotel .. Even I've graduated from a good university a didn't work well at any big company or with a nice title.

Other issue which is pardoxical ; I want to start coaching but I don't have a good backround about most domain of life. I am inexperinced about dating, I ve not start a business till today so no experience about that too. Even I progressed a lot on my personal development journey I still have confidence, esteem related issues. 

To be a good coach it would be better to advance most domain of life I think. On the other hand without starting a business it will be difficult to be able to feel good and work better on the aspect of life that I want to improve ..  Nowadays I even think to start another business first at least to gain some experience but it won't  make sense since I am almost totally in personal development. I read, I watch videos and took notes on that. So with not much interest in the industry but interest in doing businesss is it making sense to start a business like selling something, opening a online shopping market etc.  

summary;

--to start at coaching business how much it is important, first to improve and get results by yourself. And to  what degree should I wait ?

--how is it looking to start another random business just for the sake of learning business and gaining experience before going for coaching business ? 

-- since for any other business nobody is interested with your personal life. Will it be locigal to approach coaching business that way or should I prove customer that I myself already succeed in life. 

-- Won't they tell me you don't have any important success in life how are you going to help us ? ( I think that is obviously inner critic and self judgment)

So what are your thoughts? 

Maybe, find an area of life you are passionate about, master it and then put coaching on your like 5-10 do to list.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

The skill of coaching is distinct from business experience, dating experience, and other such things.

Coaching is not about giving people advice. What you see in my videos is NOT coaching. Coaching is the skill set of asking powerful questions that get the client to contemplate for themselves out loud. So the funny thing is that it's possible to coach someone about business without knowing much about business. Although of course in practice most biz people will simply not hire you unless they have confidence in you -- so for that purpose having life experience is good for marketing.

You need to distinguish two things:

1) Being a good coach

2) Convincing people to hire you

These are independent things. Becoming a good coach is easier than convincing people to hire you.

Furthermore, as a coach you will select a specialty and tend to work with clients within that specialty. So you don't need to have experience in all areas, just that specialty. For example, if you are a life purpose or spiritual coach, you don't need much experience in dating, marriage, relationships, or biz. But if you're going to a relationship coach or a biz coach, obviously you'll want to develop some personal experience in those fields. You can be a self-esteem coach without any biz experience.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't worry to much about this. If you like coaching, get trained and practice your coaching skills and then develop some kind of marketing strategy for getting clients. You will gain life experience naturally anyway as you age. You can be a great self-esteem coach without any biz experience.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I was literally just thinking along similar lines. 

It's like, I feel if I don't just start something, a business, now, it won't ever happen since I'll be continuously stuck in this pattern of being a student forever without ever actually utilizing and marketing what I've learned.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

13 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Maybe, find an area of life you are passionate about, master it and then put coaching on your like 5-10 do to list.

it seems like my passion is studying personal development concepts. But I understand what you mean. Thank you

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

The skill of coaching is distinct from business experience, dating experience, and other such things.

Coaching is not about giving people advice. What you see in my videos is NOT coaching. Coaching is the skill set of asking powerful questions that get the client to contemplate for themselves out loud. So the funny thing is that it's possible to coach someone about business without knowing much about business. Although of course in practice most biz people will simply not hire you unless they have confidence in you -- so for that purpose having life experience is good for marketing.

You need to distinguish two things:

1) Being a good coach

2) Convincing people to hire you

These are independent things. Becoming a good coach is easier than convincing people to hire you.

Furthermore, as a coach you will select a specialty and tend to work with clients within that specialty. So you don't need to have experience in all areas, just that specialty. For example, if you are a life purpose or spiritual coach, you don't need much experience in dating, marriage, relationships, or biz. But if you're going to a relationship coach or a biz coach, obviously you'll want to develop some personal experience in those fields. You can be a self-esteem coach without any biz experience.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't worry to much about this. If you like coaching, get trained and practice your coaching skills and then develop some kind of marketing strategy for getting clients. You will gain life experience naturally anyway as you age. You can be a great self-esteem coach without any biz experience.

As I understand convincing part is about life experience. So my fear is probably not to be able to find client since even I might be a good coach I am not experienced in different areas of life. Also I don't really think on finding a niche, I used to think I will be a life coach and thats ok. I can coach people about anything. it seems like finding a niche really will be helpful.  Most importantly bottom line which  I guess is briefly ''just do it''  so clear.. Thank you so much