Javfly33

Concerning Info about Toxic Metals on Kratom Plant

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

 I have found some concerning info about the of toxic heavy metals in this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7432033/

This is really concerning because I've been taking Kratom for over a year daily, except some little breaks here and there. I haven't noticed a downside in my overall health or energy however.

Anyone knows if this is accurate for all Kratom powder and if there is something I could do to counter act this (maybe I should take a toxic metals test) apart from considering stop taking Kratom altogether.

 

Edited by Javfly33

A thought can´t ever tell you how you feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is somewhat concerning. I just started taking Kratom to see what I thought of it, but I might have to reconsider. If the study isn’t brand new I would imagine someone else in the Kratom subreddit or on a website dedicated to it has commented on the study. I’ll look to see what I can find

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is nothing new. Herbal products are often contaminated even from organic sources which is one of the risks of following something like Ayurvedic medicine treatment for a long term because they import a lot of these herbs from China & India where for example Arsenic is still used as a herbicide and the restrictions are likely to be fewer than for example in EU. Lead contamination is also a concern because not all areas in the world have switched to unleaded petrol and that stuff seeps in soil and water. Not to mention shit like insecticides, termicides etc that have only been banned in US couple decades ago but the soil is still largely contaminated. So possible in many asian countries they are still being used. It sucks but that's a harsh reality of this polluted planet.

If you can make sure those products are locally grown and harvested from controlled sources, it's probably best. Organically grown helps but is not 100% guarantee again depends on the country of origin. 

If you are privileged enough to live ina country where there are rigorous quality standards, research those and support those businesses. For example B-Corp does great work in EU, UK & USA and their certified businesses are as close to excellent quality standards as we can get but even there are loopholes. 

Whatever you do,  don't just order random products without any certifications of quality and purity and don't buy some cheap products in places like Walmart and similar. Support the most conscious and caring businesses. There are still many that care as Herbalists should generally be stage green companies with a  healthy hint of orange 


MY WEBSITE  I'm a certified nutritionist & health coach. I help men who struggle with chronic health problems, to remember what happy & healthy feels like. 

FACEBOOK GROUP  - Come join other health enthusiasts, learn something new.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorthRise said:

That is somewhat concerning. I just started taking Kratom to see what I thought of it, but I might have to reconsider. If the study isn’t brand new I would imagine someone else in the Kratom subreddit or on a website dedicated to it has commented on the study. I’ll look to see what I can find

Contact your supplier. I talked to mine and they said they do test their product against heavy metals. 

 

3 hours ago, Michael569 said:

This is nothing new. Herbal products are often contaminated even from organic sources which is one of the risks of following something like Ayurvedic medicine treatment for a long term because they import a lot of these herbs from China & India where for example Arsenic is still used as a herbicide and the restrictions are likely to be fewer than for example in EU. Lead contamination is also a concern because not all areas in the world have switched to unleaded petrol and that stuff seeps in soil and water. Not to mention shit like insecticides, termicides etc that have only been banned in US couple decades ago but the soil is still largely contaminated. So possible in many asian countries they are still being used. It sucks but that's a harsh reality of this polluted planet.

If you can make sure those products are locally grown and harvested from controlled sources, it's probably best. Organically grown helps but is not 100% guarantee again depends on the country of origin. 

If you are privileged enough to live ina country where there are rigorous quality standards, research those and support those businesses. For example B-Corp does great work in EU, UK & USA and their certified businesses are as close to excellent quality standards as we can get but even there are loopholes. 

Whatever you do,  don't just order random products without any certifications of quality and purity and don't buy some cheap products in places like Walmart and similar. Support the most conscious and caring businesses. There are still many that care as Herbalists should generally be stage green companies with a  healthy hint of orange 

So now you can't even trust the "organic" word uh? 


A thought can´t ever tell you how you feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

So now you can't even trust the "organic" word uh? 

Most of the time yes, when it comes to food in USA & EU the tests and fines for violation are pretty significant. But since herbs & supplements do not fall under the same category, I don't think the testing is as rigorous. But if the company says their products are clean and can provide some sort of valid certification of a reputable testing company, I guess that's good. 


MY WEBSITE  I'm a certified nutritionist & health coach. I help men who struggle with chronic health problems, to remember what happy & healthy feels like. 

FACEBOOK GROUP  - Come join other health enthusiasts, learn something new.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2021 at 2:17 AM, Javfly33 said:

Anyone knows if this is accurate for all Kratom powder and if there is something I could do to counter act this (maybe I should take a toxic metals test) apart from considering stop taking Kratom altogether.

Maybe or maybe not? Vendors post lab reports but how can you really know for sure? What's your reason for taking kratom anyways?

Take it from someone who took it daily for two years, just go ahead and stop before it's to difficult. It will turn around and bite you eventually, slippery slope that you don't want to go down. I sell cars so I was taking it for work, but I started experiencing negative side effects into the second year and had to stop taking it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now