Adodd

Best English translation of the bhagavad gita

12 posts in this topic

I'm not a scholar. The king James bible translation is enough to give me a headache. So preferably something simpler to read. Paramahansa Yogananda's translation was both recommended  to read and recommended to stay away from. 

Bhagavad Gita As It Is by His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

Highly recommended!

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Eternal Unity isn't that ABOUT the Bhagavad Gita and not an actual translation of it? Or have I been misinformed?

@Adodd Both. It has interpretations as well as the translation. I found it very informative and enjoyable to read.

11 hours ago, dflores321 said:

@Eternal Unity isnt that guy kinda culty? 

Don't know about that.

@BipolarGrowth That's super!

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

3 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

Theres a video of this guru saying that women actually enjoy rape.

I didn't know that. Perhaps, I'll research into the life of this guru more. Thanks!

Edited by Eternal Unity

16 hours ago, Eternal Unity said:

Prabhupada

As a hindu myself, this book is highly biased and misleading which ultimately makes you join the bhakti path. No serious stress was given about inward practice. 

So much dualism I must say.

I suggest to read Indian Philosophy by Jadunath Sinha. He goes so deep into the essence of all the epic whose ultimate goal is to god realisation.

20210719_201228.jpg

@Vignan Thank you for diverting my attention.

@Eternal UnityReal Bagavad gita is the ultimate reference. I felt like a new born after my awakening and then while reading it i felt like "i just saw a glimpse and this book has a blueprint of infinite consciousness and how to get there" 

20210719_201737.jpg

3 hours ago, dflores321 said:

@Eternal Unity the guy seems like another average guru from india who is only in an exalted position because he was seen as special by foreigners. 

Kinda like if a priest went to india and was worshipped as a genuine godly man. 

Does this necessarily mean his translation of the bhagavad gita isn't accurate? Serious question.

@Adodd once you know what you're running after, you'll know how to filter out content from literally anything. A famous book doesn't mean it's full of information. It became famous because it tapped into the ego mind! Not all but most. 

Books just give you intellectual understanding but what you need to have is serious practice of this inward journey.

I like the one, a walkthrough for Westerners by Jack Hawley but it is an interpretation of the texts.