Terell Kirby

Increased fascination with inanimate objects

12 posts in this topic

It strikes me how the human mind takes things that don’t move or have a “soul” for granted. As I become more conscious, I’m able to appreciate things that are normally mundane and boring...such as my couch, or a rock.

They are creatures in a sense...they are alive. These things literally spawn from divine source. Becoming that divine source changes perspectives on animate and inanimate objects. But it’s so cool to make a distinction with the inanimate from a human lender vs. a God lense.

Has anyone else experienced this while doing consciousness work?

Edited by Terell Kirby

"Let's suppose one day while you were very, very high on LSD, you looked into a filthy ashtray and you saw the beatific vision. Which is, of course, the case, wherever you look while your eyes are open you will see the face of God. Then, you come out of your ecstasy with the dirty ashtray, and say to everybody, "Here it is." Now, there is a possibility, an extraordinarily skillful painter, or even photographer, of presenting the dirty ashtray in a way so that everybody else will see almost what you saw in it. But, you will have to have a technique which will translate every grain of ash into a jewel. Because that's what you actually saw. But that requires mastery of an art. And I'm afraid people think that all it's necessary to do is.. just throw out any old thing, because under that transformed state of consciousness, any old thing is the works.. But nobody else can see it if they haven't shared that point of view" -Alan Watts

Yes, if people fully appreciated inanimate objects greed wouldn't be a thing and no one would be shamed for it either. You cannot own objects, you only experience them. The experience is never the same twice, it's only now that we can perceive exactly how the light falls on something, which is only because of the light of awareness, which intimately is our being is creating it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@mandyjw yes...I am seeing now the negative influence that separateness causes. It’s a source of much evil in the world. Awareness is a unifying force. Humans wield so much power and could be a force for good to the planet if we were just more conscious. It’s not easy by any means, but worth every effort.

9 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

It’s not easy by any means, but worth every effort.

It's effortless! :D

It's like massage, you hold all these tensions in your muscles and the massage, which seems like a doing or an effort, helps you to release them. It's the an effort to tackle the effort we don't know we're making.  

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I regularly contemplate what different objects are made of. For example, I take a look at my desk and I wonder: "Hmm, this desk has a light brown color and it feels solid. What is it made of? Wood. Where wood comes from? Trees. Where do trees come from? Forests. Where are forests exactly?" And so on...

I applied this to many many objects and I realized that every single object has "natural" materials. Wood, water, sand, natural fibers, etc. And where do these materials come from? From nothing :D

@nistake love this! Yes absolutely everything is made of the same substance....nothing :). The is where the notion of Oneness makes so much sense.

Definitely. I would also encourage anyone to try and engage with the objects they use in day to day life from an "I-thou" perspective rather than "I-it" perspective. If you will, to have respect for an object as part of reality is to honour its final cause. That is, if I own an object, I choose to see it as my duty to use it in such a way that it can meet its potential - that it can actualize the purpose for which it was built. I think this goes hand in hand with minimalism, for if we were to personify objects, we could argue that an object's suffering could be caused by its inutility or its lack of use. 

There is a sense of pleasure in using objects particularly after a long meditation session. In that state I find that I am much more aware of my direct interaction with an object and I am more able to connect with it as if it were an extension of myself rather than a mere disposable tool. And so I don't merely use an object as a means to an end, rather I extend myself through that object to actualize something of increased novelty which I would have not had access to without it.

In more spiritual words, it is reality interacting with itself to find ways of creating itself in more novel ways. 

@Terell Kirby Yes. All is One. All is You. It is actually, in my opinion, an advanced understanding of reality and a clear sign you are walking The Path.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.