Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thought Art

Long Term Planning

5 posts in this topic

Those of you who consider yourself great long term planners would you be willing to talk to me about how your mind works? What skills have you installed, what habits do you have?

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

The only thing I've learned from trying to plan long-term, is that things 5 or 10 years out will be so different that you won't be able to predict them.

I feel like I'm a pretty boring person that set an ordinary path for myself. And I still ended up moving to another country, leaving my fiancée, starting an entirely different career path, and other stuff that I wouldn't have been able to foresee 5 years ago.

Now I set goals for the year, but that's about as far out as I go. Even my yearly goals, I only end up completing maybe 60% of them. As well as adding several major new things to the list that weren't originally on it.

If you can set 10-year goals and consistently hit them, or not have your goals and priorities completely change halfway through, then you probably aren't growing enough as a person.

Think about what you want long-long term, your greatest desires for the world/yourself/whatever you give a shit about. And think about what needs to happen to get there. Don't over-think about one particular detail. Keep coming back to the vision. Do it daily, get obsessed with your vision. Always check yourself that your vision is what you really want and then go back to details, back to whole, back to steps, back to quality/purity, and don't forget your actual life, self, and spiritual practices ever. Become strong minded and determined. "If you let yourself be successful, you shall be successful."

@Thought Art

1. set an intention, something like 'I want to reach this idealistic goal X. To do this I need to develop Skill-Group Y'
  2. then you backwards-engineer a plan with the time range a. short-term (6 Months), b. mid-term (6 month to 2 years) and c. longterm (2 years to 5 years)
  3. now you have immediate things to do, like 'get a job' or 'get good grade in university' - and you ask yourself: How can I make it more likely that I reach this goals?
    • example 'get a job': you could apply every day or you could change your approach and apply very targeted; rebuild your CV ... etc. pp.
    • if something works real nice you notice that 'high yield technique' and follow through on it. 
  4. After 6 Months you evaluate if you reached you goals, what could be better etc. >>> define new short- mid- and longterm goals
  5. some day you reach your original mid- or lonterm goal enddate and you evaluate these as well.

things change a lot over time, like @Yarco  said - but it's always wise to track yourself. you'll get better over the years, expect much failure if you are bad in planning

Edited by supremeyingyang

Patience

The particular point I’ve picked up that critical brains do not neglect that performance is a long-term ride. Discoveries have all a concrete time and moment. And progress results from a transform of strategically planned work and efforts. I do not bet it all at once. They invest their energies in a way that is continuous and led by a long-term perspective. I have learned to wait. “The two most dynamic champions are patience and time”