BipolarGrowth

The differences between my mania and others such as CM/FY

11 posts in this topic

@Kalo Mental illness is NOT similar phenomenally to mysticism and spirituality.

And certainly the "reality" experienced by schizophrenic in psychosis or in mania is NOT real and Absolute reality at all! They are polar oposite to each other! We have to let go all illusions and delusions if we want to experience the Absolute reality.

Why are you and  some other people spreading this misinformation about mental illness and enlightenment? Is it on purpose or what?

9 minutes ago, Bojan V said:

Why are you and  some other people spreading this misinformation about mental illness and enlightenment? Is it on purpose or what?

Simplistic, immature minds who idealise mental illness and have misconceptions about the kinds of behaviours and actions one should expect to see from an enlightened person.  Many people on the forum are quite young too, most only in their early 20s.  They don't yet understand that for all the intense impressive thoughts a person with mania displays, there's also more negative things you don't see.  Self-neglect, untreated injuries, sleep deprivation, desperation, estrangement from family and friends, lack of self control, regret once things balance out... etc etc.

When people compare mental illness to enlightenment they do have a point to some extent, though.  A person experiencing mania does tend to have some valid insights, however they lack the stability and grounding of genuine enlightenment and their actions often directly contradict the things they claim to be realizing (for example angrily ranting about other people's failure to accept undesirable things, etc).

37 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I disagree. Many reports from "psychosis" experiences talk about total transcendence of self and unity with God, etc.

Yes, but you're ignoring all of the other stuff which goes along with states like mania or psychosis in favour of only looking at the parts which align with spiritual realization.  Imagine a venn diagram with psychosis and mania on one side, and 'enlightenment' on the other.  There is an overlap for sure, but this doesn't mean they're the same thing.  Mania and psychosis feature many behaviours which aren't present in an enlightened state, and enlightenment features many behaviours which aren't present in a manic or psychotic state.

You keep bringing up Connor Murphy, and I question how you even got to the conclusion that he is enlightened, because to me he is the very definition of zen devil.
Have a look at his house, taken a month ago Does this look like a man who found balance and equilibrium?
Or how disrespectful he was towards Leo who was just trying to help him Does this look like someone who embodies love?

Frank Yang did edgy art videos in the past, but that was it, he was nowhere near as distasteful and abhorrent as Connor currently is.

Edited by Mafortu

@Kalo The diagnostic criteria of psychotic disorders like bipolar depression type 1 and schizophrenia are qualitatively different from non-dual awakening (the core characteristic of mystical experiences). A person with bipolar and schizophrenia are both capable of having mystical experiences, just like non-bipolar and non-schizophrenic people are capable of it.

You can also argue that the prevalence of mystical experiences is higher in people with psychotic disorders, but the symptoms of each disorder are not endemic to the mystical experience. For example, a core feature of bipolar depression is elevated mood (mania) and following periods of depressions. Schizophrenia has a list of negative symptoms (e.g. flattened affect) and positive symptoms (e.g. hearing voices). You're not certain to encounter these symptoms in a mystical experience unless you're in fact psychotic.

Another way to look at it is that psychosis is a disorder of the mind (and the body too in a sense). Non-dual awakening goes beyond the body and mind. A psychotic person and a non-psychotic person have different minds – different ways of thinking, speaking and perceiving, but both are capable of stepping outside the mind (the relative) and experience The Absolute. You can interview people on this forum who've experienced non-duality, and you should expect that the vast majority do not qualify for a diagnosis of a psychotic illness.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Kalo You are deliberately conflating mental illness and enlightenment and you are trying to "explain" this conflation with false reasoning. I will repeat again: mental illness is NOT enlightenment.

Oh and i am a "Leo copy" only in your mind, but not really.

5 minutes ago, Kalo said:

I agree with most of what you say. You did however assume some claims which I didn't claim.

Which are...?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

8 minutes ago, Kalo said:

@Bojan V You are a child bro.

Why even bother to make long comments about the nature of enlightenment if you're going to show your wounded ego so readily?  You just contradicted all of it with a single sentence.