vedame

Psychedelics and SSRI

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried psychedelics while being on SSRI? If it is to be considered dangerous, for how long should I not take SSRI before the experiment?

Edited by vedame

It is a possible cause for serotonin syndrome which can be fatal. Mixing an SSRI with an MAOI such as the ayahuasca vine can be fatal. This is the medical consensus. Find out the half-life of your current SSRI and multiply that time period by 5 to know when your system is sufficiently clear of the SSRI. Some psychiatric medications can be combined with certain psychedelics, but you should always look into possible interactions. Search the name of your medication and the psychedelic you plan to take online to look at potential interactions. Another recommendation would be to ask your doctor about the interactions. 

It can be unwise to stop psychiatric medications to use psychedelics in many cases, but this is ultimately an individual decision. Be smart about avoiding potentially dangerous interactions by doing a solid amount of research before experimenting. Many people have found the psychedelic experience worthwhile or even positively life changing even though they have a mental illness. Don’t be surprised if you become unstable due to this experimentation. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

Two things are possible:

1. With chronic use of SNRI/SSRI, there will be a desensitization of serotonin receptors, causing psychedelics to lose their effectiveness.

2. Combining 2 or more serotonergic drugs can lead to serotonin syndrome. I've had it before... Wasn't even trying to trip. Took cough medicine max dose, actually prescribed for cough (DXM, an SRI) with Zoloft (sertraline, an SSRI)... Dude, if only I had known just how unpleasant SS was, I would have never even come close to taking 2 serotonergics together. It was HELL. Shaking so hard I looked possessed, sweat pouring off me, BP 180 over something ridiculous, HR 180 as well... And the most intense sensation of pure fear -- it felt like skydiving and realizing you forgot the parachute just after the jump. All this on top of a burning restless agony that resembled opioid withdrawal. I can imagine someone with this condition attempting to drive themselves to the ER, seriously considering just driving into a tree and ending it right there, the suffering was so intense. And I've been through heroin withdrawal. SS was at least as bad, and apparently really deadly...

You literally shiver SO HARD that the heat produced by the muscle clonus alone can cause brain damage, with core body temperature as high as 108°F.

It was utterly horrific! A truly catastrophic event. Avoid.

Edited by The0Self

Thank you very much for your precious inputs! 

@vedame I did acid multiple times on SSRIs. It just felt weaker, that is it. You may want to research what receptors the drug you take targets and what receptors targeted by the psychdelic.

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

2 hours ago, Eren Eeager said:

@vedame I did acid multiple times on SSRIs. It just felt weaker, that is it. You may want to research what receptors the drug you take targets and what receptors targeted by the psychdelic.

Thanks, Eren :) The combo would be escitalopram and Ayahuasca. I’m doing some research on it :) 

18 hours ago, vedame said:

Hello,

Has anyone ever tried psychedelics while being on SSRI? If it is to be considered dangerous, for how long should I not take SSRI before the experiment?

The problem with the psychedelics if you are in Ssri, ssri will try to maintain the self based on life standarts or having a better life standards, which is making ego comfortable. However psychedelics work oppositely it will destroy the life, or the ego. If you have problem with self and taking ssri, you are not ready for psychedelics. Because self will be in panic. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

@vedame You cannot do ayahuasca because you will be taking MOAIs which are dangerous to take with SSRIs. Take acid instead, it is actually very lovely and gentle on SSRIs.

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

Thanks, guys. I will consult my psychiatrist bestie about it, and make some research. 

The point about the self not being ready is very important, I will contemplate on it. 

I am in a gradually decreased use of SSRI (Lexapro) since a while now, I will see how it goes and how I progress. I’m in a sort of transforming process. I will wait.

Thanks again!