Tim R

Helping a drunk on the street

24 posts in this topic

I just remembered something similar happened in front of me and everybody stopped even some cars to see if he is ok and if they need to call the ambulance. 

But there were less people overall so you are probably in a bigger place where humans are less valued. 

Is it America? 

@Opo Nope, small city in Germany. population of 83K, 50% of which are university students. and a whole bunch of hippies and weird crazy people?

Drunks ask me for cash all the time. I rarely ever give them it. It’s unfortunate part of reality but it is what it is. 

I think we're programmed to make snap judgements and stereotype people and situations. Part of our survival instinct and self-interest I guess. Many years ago I came across a man lying unconscious in the pavement and writhing around. I assumed he might be a drunk passed out after a few too many, but called an ambulance anyway. I waited till they arrived, and soon after he woke up a bit, ate a Mars bar (chocolate) and started feeling better - turns out he was a diabetic with low blood sugar levels and didn't eat his mars bar in time. Not a drunk or hobo at all, my bad! But even if he was, so what, that's no reason to judge or not to help. Life lesson learned for me that day :)

Edited by snowyowl
spelling

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :)