Mango

Music Or Engineer?

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pyrrhocorax graculus said:

Yes, it's a real shame. At least in my experiences, that's all I got. People who sell your IP right out from underneath you. The ones with the lawyers and money just make more money and the "minds" just get used up. 

I'm sure there are some companies that compensate and share royalties more generously. But all in all, it takes so many people to see a concept to completion that they spread the money thin amongst them. And everything is so compartmentalized to protect IP leaks within the company that it's easy for the "minds" to be taken advantage of.

And teaching...shew! Might as well have a bunch of kids and a wife and get some food stamps, because they only pay a single person just enough to keep them above poverty level and expect us to put our all into training the next great minds. I gave up fighting that governmentized over regulated department of education brainwashing system! That only pays 10 dollars per hour if you add up all it takes to be a real good teacher outside of campus time. It's ridiculous.

@Pyrrhocorax graculus Such a shame. No wonder our world continues to dummy down, instead of smartening up.

Stick to engineering. The opprotunities are abundant. I'm not saying you're bad at music or that your not talented but music is a very competitive industry. You're competing with Elton John, Taylor swift, other music producers etc. they have so many years. 

The best advice I can make and that I've ever received is this:

"Are you making this choice out of love or fear?"

It seems that your choice for music is out of love, and your choice for other career paths is out of fear for security. Never allow fear to hold you back from your dreams. Follow the path of love, and abundance will flow to you. There is no past, there is no future, there is only the now. That is the only moment that all of us have, as we are not guaranteed a future, that is a thought in our heads. Do what you love to do in the moment. Do what makes you feel good. Do what makes you feel like life is worth living. Follow your gut. And if you choose music, don't tell yourself that you will be broke because of it. That is the story of other people, it doesn't have to be yours.  I believe there is a reason you are being pulled towards doing music, and that is because it is what is truly right for you.  You ask because you want assurance from others that is is okay to leave engineering, but no one can give you the answers. You already have the the answer yourself deep down, don't you?

Edited by carrotqueen

You've got to go with what's going to keep your soul alive.  Screw any moment doing something just for the sake of survival...don't starve your inner world.  That's all that really matters.  Go in the direction of your passions, be willing to lose status and be willing to sacrifice other people's opinions for it.  Your inner world is signaling you to come alive.  Follow it and see where that wave takes you, you never know, it might just surprise you.

I feel you, try to not make music for a month, if you can't then go for music. If you love music deep then you should make music instead of focusing on money. Money won't make you happy. Music will

Im a civil engineer and playing guitar helps me to relax and to calm my mind after work when im at home :) 

On 2016-02-12 at 4:24 AM, Seven said:

If your life purpose is to become a musician/artist as main priority, you simply have to want it above all else, knowing that it could be the only thing you have and still be unmeasurable happy with it. All others things that come with being succesful as an artist, are extras.

Very perceptive Seven! I am with you on that one.

Joy :)

Passion can be grown too. It's not something that we have no control over. If you honestly work hard at your engineering career to make it awesome for you, you will learn to love it. 

I suggest reading So Good They Can't Ignore You by Cal Newport. It's a misconception that we all have innate passions that are the only thing that will satisfy us. True passion is cultivated through lots and lots of great effort and years of consistent, focused attention. 

You can become passionate about just about anything with the correct methods. It's really counter-intuitive to the notion of passion being a sacred,immutable quality, but I think it's worth investigating.

On 12-2-2016 at 10:59 AM, Abhijeeth said:

Seven .... You don't understand what I'm saying

I said that if one is passionate about music... Then he will be able to make money easily

I would rather say eventually than easily

On 10.02.2016 at 8:48 PM, Sarah_Flagg said:

If you had an unlimited amount of money which would you choose? 

Omg I am always so scared of this question, because I'd definetely do not what I'm currently doing (law) :)