Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tarun simhadri

free will

5 posts in this topic

what to do after accepting there is no free will?

its so depressing to continue life and unmotivated  

@tarun simhadri you do the same thing you did before- be yourself (which is the only thing you ever do), only with the understanding that you do what you do 'intelligently', not 'freely'.   

You recognize, after accepting that there is no 'free will', that this is true not only for you, but for everyone, and everything, and so you no longer have a reason to judge what happens.. because what happens is just what happens, and no one is 'doing it'.  

You recognize that you continue to 'be you', effortlessly, with all of your desires, in tact.  You apparently still had the desire to write your post.  You were motivated to write what you did.  Your desire and motivation remain.  You are still motivated to avoid suffering, and you still desire to experience joy. Otherwise, what would you be depressed about?  

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water." - Zen Proverb.

Do not worry so much about recognizing that there is no 'free will'.. there never was any.  You will (not freely) continue to be just how you will be. 

How hard are you trying to 'be yourself' right now?? The answer is, 'not at all'.  Yet, here you are.. being yourself, just how you will.  

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

2 hours ago, tarun simhadri said:

lol

that means you haven't "accepted"/realized it

Edited by blankisomeone

2 hours ago, tarun simhadri said:

If it were true it’d feel amazing, like Truth. 

Free will is a thought. 

No free will is a thought. 

You can focus on either. 

You can also deny this, experience the discord, the ‘off ness’ in feeling, and insist you’re right nonetheless. 

You’re free to do that.

I’d pick happiness over righteousness, but that’s just me. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

On 26/04/2021 at 10:55 AM, tarun simhadri said:

What was the process around you accepting no free will? I mean, if there really isn't any free will, you can't freely accept or reject it, or have an investigation without prejudging the conclusion.  There's no point asking what to do because you don't have a free choice anyway. But neither can you have avoided making this exact post! 

That's if the options are either free will or predestination. The difficulties with both these make me sceptical, hence the regular topics about this fascinating subject. It's discussed fairly often in other areas of the forum so why not dive in there and join in. But please don't worry and get depressed about this. Spiritual practice opens up your faculties to observe and find out the truth. In the meantime, I'd say to get on with your life as if  you have freedom to create the life to make you and your loved ones happy. 

Edit - I just noticed this is your first post, so welcome to the forum and thanks for posting :)

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :)