Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Virtus

How to find my top values?

6 posts in this topic

If you can redirect me to some resources that can help me with my top values I will be very thankful. I know the LP course will solve that but I am 17y and until I start earning money I won't be able to buy it

Check out Leo's blog video:

https://www.actualized.org/insights/requisite-variety-and-creative-laziness

Contemplate the topic using a journal.

For example, you could ask:

In what domain of life have I felt the most passion and excitement? 

Am I drawing, playing a sport, programming, doing science, writing stories, telling jokes, cooking?

Am I indoors or outdoors when I am most productive and creative?

(Using a timer, spend at least twenty minutes on each question) (You don't have to use mine, learn to ask good questions and be open to the possibility that you may not have to rely on some outside source to find what you want to know, that you could find the answers within yourself if you really wanted to/believed you could.)

Research and create a list of high consciousness values on the internet. Pick 10 of the ones that stick out to you the most. Then contemplate what each one means to you.

Why is __________ a top value for me?

or

What will my life look like if I embodied this value completely?

Research the people who have inspired you the most in your life.

What were their values and what impact did they have?

What qualities about these people do I admire?

Researching resources is important, but if you can't think for yourself about what you learn, you are just memorizing. To truly understand a thing, to become conscious of it, you have to investigate for yourself. Whenever you find a resource, don't just take what they say on blind faith, question it.

Edited by Logan

Live life.

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

1 hour ago, Megan Alecia said:

Live life.

I second this. 

Do stuff, have new experiences, follow what's meaningful to you (even if it's just a vague incling). Even do things that you don't think you'll like (if you've got nothing else).  Start mini projects.  Meet knew types of people.  Travel.  Make "mistakes".  

Though I do think it's good and wise to contemplate this stuff, for me (a heavy thinker type who can be low on the action), I think just doing more stuff if a great way to discover what I value.  

Requisite Variety applied to finding one's own values = trying stuff

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Get into a relationship and look for all things that annoy you in the other person xD

A reflection of this is your values B|

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

Get into a relationship and look for all things that annoy you in the other person xD

A reflection of this is your values 

Listen to this. My last 4 years romance push me to look deeper to my own value. The more it hurt the more its your core distracted. See the core.