Rilles

Basic Systems View Of Racial Problem In US

10 posts in this topic

brcnFiH.jpg

In light of Derek Chauvin being found guilty I felt like making this. Very macro, there are probably more connections you could make, and systems within the systems.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles By the way, can you explain it a bit for people who don't know about systems thinking? I'm personally interested in learning systems thinking, but I never had the time to do it.

Just now, Raphael said:

@Rilles By the way, can you explain it a bit for people who don't know about systems thinking? I'm personally interested in learning systems thinking, but I never had the time to do it.

If youre in a hurry.

If you have alot of time. 

@Raphael Its basically just about the relations between different parts which make a whole. The arrows depict these relations, for example the link between poverty and crime which ultimately lead to prison and so on, and there are other parts which interlink.

@Raphael 

One key of systems thinking has to do with causation. Most human minds are contracted within one proximal input of causation. It is more difficult to see multiple inputs of causation in an inter-related system over time. Many minds can only see one input at a time. As well, many minds are attached to pre-conceived ideas and will filter out or be defensive about multiple inputs. 

For example, if someone drove through a red light, hit and killed a bicyclist on the side of the road. . . most minds would focus on that one proximal point of causation that he hit and killed her. Yet in a larger system, there could be many causes - for example, the driver may have received a text that his father just had a heart attack. This could have distracted him, he could have been filled with worry texting family members and trying to get to the hospital. Perhaps he recently drank a couple beers that also contributed. And it was during a foggy night with low visibility. And the cyclist was dressed in dark clothing, had no reflectors and wasn't wearing a helmet. These are all contributing factors within a larger system.

And we could expand it to a larger system. . . Perhaps this intersection was around a sharp bend and there is an accident every month there. Why hasn't the town previously taken action by putting up a flashing light before the intersection? . . . Perhaps the city council can do better community outreach to cyclists should be wearing reflective clothing at night, have bicycle lights and reflectors - especially during a foggy night. As well, the driver had previous DUIs. Perhaps the laws aren't strict enough regarding DUI. Perhaps there isn't enough resources in town to help people with drinking and drug-related issues. 

Yet this type of thinking system is more complex and takes more effort. Most minds want to simply blame the perpetrator or victim. 

The above image shows the inter-relationships of causation in a bigger picture view. We could also add more distinctions and make the map higher resolution as well as expand the map and add in more inputs of causation. 

55 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

@Raphael 

One key of systems thinking has to do with causation. Most human minds are contracted within one proximal input of causation. It is more difficult to see multiple inputs of causation in an inter-related system over time. Many minds can only see one input at a time. As well, many minds are attached to pre-conceived ideas and will filter out or be defensive about multiple inputs. 

For example, if someone drove through a red light, hit and killed a bicyclist on the side of the road. . . most minds would focus on that one proximal point of causation that he hit and killed her. Yet in a larger system, there are could be many causes - for example, the driver may have received a text that his father just had a heart attack. This could have distracted him, he could have been filled with worry texting family members and trying to get to the hospital. Perhaps he recently drank a couple beers that also contributed. And it was during a foggy night with low visibility. And the cyclist was dressed in dark clothing, had no reflectors and wasn't wearing a helmet. These are all contributing factors within a larger system.

And we could expand it to a larger system. . . Perhaps this intersection was around a sharp bend and there is an accident every month there. Why hasn't the town previously taken action by putting up a flashing light before the intersection? . . . Perhaps the city council can do better community outreach to cyclists should be wearing reflective clothing at night, have bicycle lights and reflectors - especially during a foggy night. As well, the driver had previous DUIs. Perhaps the laws aren't strict enough regarding DUI. Perhaps there isn't enough resources in town to help people with drinking and drug-related issues. 

Yet this type of thinking system is more complex and takes more effort. Most minds want to simply blame the perpetrator or victim. 

The above image shows the inter-relationships of causation in a bigger picture view. We could also add more distinctions and make the map higher resolution as well as expand the map and add in more inputs of causation. 

Absolutely beautiful summation!

Yeah, the above image is very basic, it's more me practicing this type of thinking, but I love to share it with you guys while I'm doing it. Still I do think there is a lifetimes worth of study just in these parts and their relations, this is very macro, you could go as analytical as you want on for example the Private Prison Industry. 

Edited by Rilles

@Rilles good. I see a lot of causations. I like this type of meta thinking. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

On 4/21/2021 at 9:03 PM, Forestluv said:

@Raphael 

For example, if someone drove through a red light, hit and killed a bicyclist on the side of the road. . . most minds would focus on that one proximal point of causation that he hit and killed her. Yet in a larger system, there could be many causes - for example, the driver may have received a text that his father just had a heart attack. This could have distracted him, he could have been filled with worry texting family members and trying to get to the hospital. Perhaps he recently drank a couple beers that also contributed. And it was during a foggy night with low visibility. And the cyclist was dressed in dark clothing, had no reflectors and wasn't wearing a helmet. These are all contributing factors within a larger system.

Wow, that's an awesome explanation, thank you! So... the key thing about systems thinking is being able to consider many causations and interconnecting them rather than being focused on one single cause?