Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zion

How to determine confidence vs arrogance?

6 posts in this topic

How do you determine if you're being arrogant or confident?

You ask yourself - "am I saying this to put myself above him or her, or am I saying this because I sincerely believe in it."

There's a reason why "fake it till you make it" is such a popular catchprase in society lol.

Edited by Megan Alecia

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

Arrogance is a certain sense of the word "pride". Pride as a "deadly sin". Scoffing at others, the story of Lucifer/Iblis refusing to humble himself and prostrate before Adam (who maybe symbolises earth in some abstract sense?).
--
With arrogance perhaps there is a certain kind of insecurity. In contrast to "confidence". Touchy and sensitive to someone saying something critical. Someone says something you perceive as a threat to your self image, and that instantly turns into a negative emotion. But we only see the negative emotion and it's harder to directly see the aspect of what created that emotion. 

"True confidence" in contrast probably isn't touchy and sensitive like that. Not being insecure, so its secure

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Zion

Confidence doesn't need approval from other people, arrogance does. If it's about proving your opinion to others it's arrogance. If it's about feeling good together it's confidence :) 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@Zion Arrogance is more synonymous with insecurity. I mean, its easy to perceive me as arrogant but maybe something else is at play. i'm working on my empathy recently for example, its kind of a big deal, I'm probably going to be one of the most empathic people on the planet, I'm already starting to invent my own terminology that you won't find on the internet or the most nieche internet space of sensitive people too afraid to meet up in public due to their endless list of social phobias and anxieties. Poke at the insecurities, small to plentiful is predictive, outside of this sometimes its sheer ignorance at play, you're ignorantly confident and not arrogant, it makes you look arrogant.