Rishabh R

Self limiting beliefs

5 posts in this topic

What to ask oneself during contemplation to remove self limiting beliefs?

Look into a specific aspect of your life where you suspect yourself to be holding limiting beliefs. Examine the situation closely, map it. Try to create a "high resolution" description of the situation and all its aspects. And then ask yourself why you think in certain ways about various aspects of the situation. By investigating your thoughts and beliefs thoroughly you will find out that in most cases they weren't grounded in anything, they were nothing but a fiction. 

What are the reasons for your particular thoughts about the situation? Where do they originate? Are they even your own thoughts or just something you adopted from someone else? Maybe something from the past which still influences you you? What are those thoughts creating for you? Are they serving you in any way or are they making things more difficult / fearful for you? Can you change those thoughts? In what ways? And what would happen if you'd do so? 

Study and think a lot about epistemology. How do I know what I think I know? How do I know what's true? How could I become truly knowledgeable on this topic?

Are you the monkey mind chatter, or the silent, spacious Awareness in which the words arise?

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Rishabh R Imagine someone else has the same problem as you. Don't just do it from a blank slate either, be as creative/imaginative as possible as that will aid the realism that your brain needs to recruit empathic and problem solving circuits. Let's practice:

(1) one is a football player

(2) one is a police officer

(3) one is a doctor

(4) one is a musician

Now let's imagine that they have the same limiting beliefs as you, imagine them in their occupation as vividly as possible, you're there to observe them and they can't see you.

What do you learn from those limiting beliefs (you know they have them, you can even see them occurring in their being)?
What do you learn from them experiencing those limiting beliefs?
How does that mirror affect the perception of your own beliefs? 
What are your solutions for solving those beliefs they have? 

Imagine the effect those solutions have on them, see it working positively. See it working negatively, then imagine alternate solutions. Play with it. You'll develop novel solutions to yours.

Otherwise follow the trail ;) :

Lastly as an experiment on belief, follow what this guy does, perhaps try writing out the "opposite" beliefs for 10 minutes, switching from belief to belief:

Edited by Origins