Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Consilience

Water Fasting & Type 1 Diabetes

11 posts in this topic

Hi folks, 

A question about the mechanism of fasting - does ANY amount of food break the benefits of a fast? One of the hard parts about type 1 diabetes is that insulin sensitivity isn't always stable. Sleep, exercise, type of exercise, types of carbohydrates, stress levels, and all sorts of factors can affect insulin sensitivity in my own experience. These small fluctuations in insulin sensitivity sometimes mean I have to east 15-30g of carbs to avoid going into hypoglycemia. 

I'd really like to explore water fasting not as a way to heal diabetes, but as a way to detox and heal the body as a whole. What I'm worried about is that as the fast is prolonged, insulin sensitivity is going to change. If I was in the middle of a water fast and had to eat sugar because of a hypoglycemia from miscalculating insulin needs (because again, this it's a moving target), would that pretty much eliminate the benefits then and there? Does ANY food shut down these healing mechanisms taking place in the body? 

I can't find very many resources online about diabetes and fasting other than insulin requirements start to drop so you have to be careful. Any feedback or advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated. 

Usually any sugar is considered breaking the fast. Small amounts of fat are more tolerated since you can still stay in ketosis.

You'll want to research specifically about how diabetics handle fasting. Not sure.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura @Arcangelo Thank you both.

It’ll also probably just take a lot of trial and error... Ill have to go slowly and be very careful with how Im doing it. Unfortunately there isn’t much on the internet around this topic, however Ive read a reddit post of a diabetic doing a 7 day water fast so it seems possible. As far as insulin adjustment guidelines, guides, resources, information, and whatnot, there’s nothing. We are definitely in the stone age of health. 

dr robert morse...check him out on YT or this site, RawFigs.com - your Health Search Engine for details on diabetics and detox 

i feel like water fasts are overrated and unnecessary, unless someone is looping their urine, it's going to be fairly rough on the body to endure. Personally i would go with the fruit and green juices, intermittent fasting, breathwork and meditation

also i wouldn't worry too much about breaking the fast, it's better to get consistent and do smaller fasts every week to slowly shift the body's capacity to work with higher frequency energy  

Edited by DrewNows

@Consilience

I wouldn't recommend water fast for people with diabetes  a sudden insulin loss ( insulin shock), can kill you in less than 20min, they don't play with the pancreas, you need to be very careful in your daily life and activities. For insulin sensitivity and fasting even for supplements when on strickt diet even any diet search and ask a professional bodybuilder!

Besides the steroids they experimenting with food, supplements, chemistry and hormons in general for the last 60 years, they developed an underground science for the human body  and its functions that makes many office doctors and diet YT gurus a scrap just because they want to reach Body Perfection. It's their job and they do it with passion I'm on the sport many years and i find it also one big school in life

23 hours ago, Consilience said:

As far as insulin adjustment guidelines, guides, resources, information, and whatnot, there’s nothing. We are definitely in the stone age of health. 

as T1 diabetic you need to be very careful with monitoring your blood sugar if you want to undergo fast in order not to end up with severe hypoglycaemia. Perhaps even on an hourly basis. Have you lost all isles of Langerhans or do you still have some natural insulin being produced? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

17 hours ago, Insane butterfly said:

Besides the steroids they experimenting with food, supplements, chemistry and hormons in general for the last 60 years, they developed an underground science for the human body  and its functions that makes many office doctors and diet YT gurus a scrap just because they want to reach Body Perfection. It's their job and they do it with passion I'm on the sport many years and i find it also one big school in life

many bodybuilders end up with severe arterial proliferation because of their "experimentation" with these things. They try to manipulate their insulin and testosterone to tinker with growth hormones but what ends up happening is that their tunica media (the muscles inside the arteries) starts to grow because they are super sensitive to growth factors which effectively starts to clog up their arteries. This is probably why so many end up needing bypass. I wouldn't look up to a bodybuilder community for health & longevity advice, all that animal protein is destroying their bodies

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

many bodybuilders end up with severe arterial proliferation because of their "experimentation" with these things. They try to manipulate their insulin and testosterone to tinker with growth hormones but what ends up happening is that their tunica media (the muscles inside the arteries) starts to grow because they are super sensitive to growth factors which effectively starts to clog up their arteries. This is probably why so many end up needing bypass. I wouldn't look up to a bodybuilder community for health & longevity advice, all that animal protein is destroying their bodies

They don't try, they do manipulate their hormones, but what we want here is their knowledge not their habits! Their animal protein intake has nothing to do with the subject of thos topic, even an excessive amount of water intake will poison you! 

Growth hormone Insulin and testosterone are working together but each one does totally different work in the human body.

Insulin reduces glucose in blood after food intake, increases fat stocks and improves the distribution of amino acids. Insulin is a very dangerous hormone, is a double edge knife it can benefit or kill you. 

We have here a Male individual who want's to Fast (no food intake) but needs to inject regularly insulin (diabetes type 1) after eating, we could think no food no need for insulin, but is not as simple as that. 

The only thing the human body wants is to survive, it doesn't care about anything else. When fasting the body is getting shocked and goes on defend mode so is attacking first the cheap energy sources which is muscle tissue and last the fat tissue. This is why the human body ist storing fat, to be able to survive.

Leo in his blog video said that everyday you loose half a pound of fat when fasting unfortunately this is very optimistic, when we say that we lost 10 pounds with a very strict diet of fasting, 10 pounds of what?  Mostly is 5 pounds of muscle (flesh) 3 pounds of water and 2 pounds of fat, an ugly example is a very skinny guy with some belly fat (skinnyfat effect) because his body insists to keep some fat to survive, I assume that Leo for example as a healthy skinny Male with very good diet and around 10% body fat after his fasting he will still have that small amount of fat in his belly, so this half pound of weight the day for his lifestyle, others could lose more according their lifestyle (handworkes f.e ) is muscle water fat and poop for the first couple of days.

Not having strong or any muscle tissue is also unhealthy.

Bodybuilders try to burn the fat and keep the muscle, this can be achieved in a natural way too, they know the process and they help a lot normal people with health issues including diabetes!

Btw fasting is essential for overall health and many clever athletes do it once a year 

On 3/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, Michael569 said:

as T1 diabetic you need to be very careful with monitoring your blood sugar if you want to undergo fast in order not to end up with severe hypoglycaemia. Perhaps even on an hourly basis. Have you lost all isles of Langerhans or do you still have some natural insulin being produced? 

Im not 100% certain, but insulin requirements have slowly been rising since I got diagnosed I believe because the remaining beta cells have been dying off. Requirements have been stable for around 5 months which makes me feel that the rest of the cells have gone the way of the dodo.

The hourly testing is a really good idea. Kind of a pain but also hypoglycemia can be deadly so thank you for the recommendation.